Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Jigsawed

Trump tax cuts wont offset the impending slowdown.

" business investment growth in the year after tax cuts has actually been shrinking since the 1960s"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...nding-slowdown
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two percent of U.S. adults said they had gotten a raise, bonus or other additional benefits due to the Republican tax law enacted a month ago by President Donald Trump, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Monday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2-per...-passed-2018-1
Absolutely freaking hilarious. Apparently, the survey folks worked pretty hard to try not to find anyone.

Meanwhile, back to reality:

Exxon Mobil announces $35 billion in new US investments over 5 years, citing tax reform

Exxon Mobil, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, on Monday said it plans to invest an additional $35 billion in the United States over the next five years.

As part of the investment, Exxon plans to increase production in the Permian basin, a shale oil region in western Texas and eastern New Mexico where the low cost of production has attracted drillers. Exxon said it will expand its operations, make improvements to infrastructure and construct manufacturing sites, activities that it expects will generate thousands of new jobs.

"These are all possible because of the resource base developed by our industry along with sound tax and regulatory policies that create a pro-growth business climate here in the U.S."

BAM!
Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Again, Whell uses a single anecdote to try to prove a larger point....
Been meaning to link to this, but reading back on the comments in this thread, it seems even more appropriate now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ed/1023848001/

Call it a list of Finn's anecdotes. . USA Today should really post a more current list, though.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Been meaning to link to this, but reading back on the comments in this thread, it seems even more appropriate now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ed/1023848001/

Call it a list of Finn's anecdotes. . USA Today should really post a more current list, though.
You're too stupid to realize that you just made my point. Fifteen companies out of ~6 million American companies giving raises or bonuses hardly represents a strong trend. It's even less than the 2% I cited earlier.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You're too stupid to realize that you just made my point. Fifteen companies out of ~6 million American companies giving raises or bonuses hardly represents a strong trend. It's even less than the 2% I cited earlier.
I could give you a bigger list that includes 285 companies, but you'd just bitch about the source. Here it is, anyway.

https://www.atr.org/list

But so what? I strongly suspect this list will continue to grow.

And leave it to you to bitch about the fact that folks are actually benefiting from all this. Your 2% number is horsecrap for a host of reasons. For example, I'd think in reality that its amazing that 2% of the folks whose highlight of any given day is to participate in a phone survey actually admitted to benefiting from a change in the tax law. Besides, the new tax withholding tables haven't started impacting take - home pay yet.

Bottom line: this whole thing is only a month old. If anyone else (likely someone with a "D" after their name on a ballot) were in the White House, we'd not see any of these announcements because there would not have been a business - friendly change in the tax law. And if there were such a change, you'd be trumpeting announcements like these by businesses. But, since there's a Repub in the White House, you're going to bitch about it endlessly.

Enjoy your angst.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 PM

Fact checking the dotard's speech.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/30/58037...ress-annotated

According to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, 65 percent of the savings from the tax cut this year will go to taxpayers in the top 20 percent of the income ladder; 20 percent of the savings will go to the top 1 percent. By 2027, when many of the personal tax cuts are set to have expired, 83 percent of the savings will go to the top 1 percent of earners. (The bottom 60 percent will see a tax increase.)

Scott Horsley
NPR White House Correspondent
Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I could give you a bigger list that includes 285 companies, but you'd just bitch about the source. Here it is, anyway.

https://www.atr.org/list

But so what? I strongly suspect this list will continue to grow.

And leave it to you to bitch about the fact that folks are actually benefiting from all this. Your 2% number is horsecrap for a host of reasons. For example, I'd think in reality that its amazing that 2% of the folks whose highlight of any given day is to participate in a phone survey actually admitted to benefiting from a change in the tax law. Besides, the new tax withholding tables haven't started impacting take - home pay yet.

Bottom line: this whole thing is only a month old. If anyone else (likely someone with a "D" after their name on a ballot) were in the White House, we'd not see any of these announcements because there would not have been a business - friendly change in the tax law. And if there were such a change, you'd be trumpeting announcements like these by businesses. But, since there's a Repub in the White House, you're going to bitch about it endlessly.

Enjoy your angst.
Grover 'Effin' Norquist? You follow that guy? Of course you do...
Old 01-31-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Grover 'Effin' Norquist? You follow that guy? Of course you do...
Well, if Finn didn't bitch about the source as I forecast in my post, you'd be the next logical forum member to do it. And, predictably, here you are.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 AM

A self entitled greedy trust fund kid?
Yup, the common man's representative, I trust him as much as I trust the Wall Street plutocrats that have been put in charge of economic policy to serve the public interest.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
MILWAUKEE — Harley-Davidson's sales fell sharply in 2017 and the company will move ahead with a plan to consolidate manufacturing operations, including the closure of its Kansas City, Mo. plant.
The world's largest maker of heavyweight motorcycles has struggled to reverse a four-year sales slide, with growth overseas somewhat helping offset a decline in the U.S. bike market.
The Milwaukee-based company said its net income fell 82% in its fiscal fourth quarter to $8.3 million, compared with a year earlier. Earnings per share were 5 cents, down from 27 cents a year earlier. Revenue was $1.23 billion, up from $1.11 billion.
The earnings drop came in part because of a charge associated with President Trump's tax cut and a $29.4 million charge for a voluntary product recall.
Harley-Davidson worldwide retail motorcycle sales fell 6.7% in 2017 compared to 2016. The company's U.S. sales fell 8.5% and international sales were down 3.9%.
Harley has taken steps to counter what's been a prolonged downturn, including tightening motorcycle inventories.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ll/1078008001/
Nice tax cut, now KC Harley employees pay less than the Coke Bros.