Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Actually I think TD used it in an earlier thread.

In all seriousness I admit that someone can find an individual who is content to live off unemplyment but they are the rare bird. As long as you own nothning, no house, no car, you might scrape by assuming someone will let you live somewhere rent free. But for the average worker, at least all the ones I know, to say unemployment is a dis-incentive to look for work is to have lost touch with reality. Over twenty years back when we were renting the place went for $800 a month and it was no palace. Now they are well into four figures.
I probably shouldn't respond as I'm running on 2 hrs of sleep (damned allergies...woke up at midnight lying in a pool of sweat and feeling like I was rolled up in a bale of fiberglass insulation).

But here goes.

I have nothing but pity for anyone who has lost their job for no reason of their own. I also realize that there are places where finding ANY job is almost impossible, at least for some. I've been there, I didn't sign on as a prison guard because I thought that I looked pretty kewl in a baggy green uniform with a smashed up bus driver hat. Come to think of it, that damned uniform made me itch like I was rolled up in a bale of fiberglass insulation. Perhaps the start of my allergies.

As I was self employed at the time, I had no choice but to find a job. And fast.

I think Kyl's point (other than his head) was that a certain segment of society will stay on unemployment until the bitter end before they take a job which they don't want. The economics in Bugtussell make this an option, probably different than the situation in Maryland.

And I'm still pissed off at the fellow I fired, and for good reason, but didn't contest his unemployment as I didn't want to kick even his sorry ass while he was down. He drew it to the bitter end while working for cash, and that is a fact...it's a small town and I know what goes on...at least when I have a vested interest in it.

After which my unemployment rates basically tripled and stayed that way until the state had the money back. In other words, I wound up paying the freeloaders benefits out of my hip pocket.

There is really no correct answer in this situation. And no matter what the government does, their one size fits all policy doesn't really fit anyone very well.

I'm just glad they don't make my shoes.

Chas
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I probably shouldn't respond as I'm running on 2 hrs of sleep (damned allergies...woke up at midnight lying in a pool of sweat and feeling like I was rolled up in a bale of fiberglass insulation).

But here goes.

I have nothing but pity for anyone who has lost their job for no reason of their own. I also realize that there are places where finding ANY job is almost impossible, at least for some. I've been there, I didn't sign on as a prison guard because I thought that I looked pretty kewl in a baggy green uniform with a smashed up bus driver hat. Come to think of it, that damned uniform made me itch like I was rolled up in a bale of fiberglass insulation. Perhaps the start of my allergies.

As I was self employed at the time, I had no choice but to find a job. And fast.

I think Kyl's point (other than his head) was that a certain segment of society will stay on unemployment until the bitter end before they take a job which they don't want. The economics in Bugtussell make this an option, probably different than the situation in Maryland.

And I'm still pissed off at the fellow I fired, and for good reason, but didn't contest his unemployment as I didn't want to kick even his sorry ass while he was down. He drew it to the bitter end while working for cash, and that is a fact...it's a small town and I know what goes on...at least when I have a vested interest in it.

After which my unemployment rates basically tripled and stayed that way until the state had the money back. In other words, I wound up paying the freeloaders benefits out of my hip pocket.

There is really no correct answer in this situation. And no matter what the government does, their one size fits all policy doesn't really fit anyone very well.

I'm just glad they don't make my shoes.

Chas
Not to hit a man when he is down with allergies, but it sounds like the main problem there was that you misjudged the character of the doofus you fired. He cheated the system and you at the same time. I imagine if you figured the guy would find cash work, you would have challenged his benefits, but when you are programmed to be fair, you don't count on people screwing you every way they can. Sometimes it's hard to figure out which is harder to deal with - turning cold and cutting no one any slack, or occasionally finding that your good deeds are punished. Not too many easy answers are there?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Charles,
I haven't been unemployed long enough to collect since sometime in the 80's
but as I recall the state of Colorado made me send in a written verifiable record of at least two job contacts/interviews per week.
Failure to accept offered employment was grounds for unemployment termination.
Doesn't Bugtussel have a system like this? If so I woulda burnt the guy. Sorry but I hate people who game the system.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
The key to that is to always apply for jobs you know you're never going to get.

"Rocket Scientist," or something...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Area Man

I thank God I still have my job. Although it has been slow the last couple of weeks. And I also feel very fortunate in that I have never had to collect unemployment. (Knock on wood.) I've always found work, even if I had to move, or take work that is beneath my skills.

Dave
Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Been out of work a few times, never applied for unemployment though, as the companies in question went belly up it probably would not have worked. We managed and I could usually pick up some consulting work. Florence had her own business at one point with somewhere around 80 employees. My lecture work abroad brought money into the country, so I figure that what we have now we earned and I make no apology to anyone.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
The key to that is to always apply for jobs you know you're never going to get.

"Rocket Scientist," or something...
That, and I don't believe that you have to take a position lower than your previous one.

I suppose that if my corporation determines to fire me, I won't have to accept a position lower than CEO.

Don't laugh, I know a guy who did just that. And according to him, "I paid that shit for years, and I deserve it just as much as anyone else."

And he was right, you know.

Chas
Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Area Man

You sure can tell it's hard times going on outside my plant. Management is certainly taking advantage of the fear to act like the pricks they truly are. Very nice.

Dave