Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
It's an election year. All of a sudden...the sun comes out and we have a picnic.
Sorry...I am so tired of hearing the latest statistics on this or that. I just may skip the election completely.
LOL, awesome post!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Interesting. The office of VP is commonly referred to as the most useless job in the world.
It certainly was this time around. And as I have said on a few occasions...I voted their donkeys in.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
It certainly was this time around. And as I have said on a few occasions...I voted their donkeys in.
John Adams -

"The Vice Presidency is the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
John Adams -

"The Vice Presidency is the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."
IMO its going to take two men two terms to get this country back to what it should be. The following men went from that so called menial office to presidency.

"I am vice president. In this I am nothing, but I may be everything." — John Adams, elected vice president 1788 and 1792.

"The second office of this government is honorable and easy, the first is but a splendid misery." — Thomas Jefferson in 1797, when he was vice president.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Area Man

Quote:
IMO its going to take two men two terms to get this country back to what it should be. The following men went from that so called menial office to presidency.

"I am vice president. In this I am nothing, but I may be everything." — John Adams, elected vice president 1788 and 1792.

"The second office of this government is honorable and easy, the first is but a splendid misery." — Thomas Jefferson in 1797, when he was vice president.
Which is where?

I believe we're aleady on our way to where I want it to be, albeit too slowly. Well, maybe not exactly, where I want it to be. But if we keep building on exports and the growth I'm seeing in manufacturing of late, we're pointed in the right direction. If we start producing again, the debt will get paid down.

Too bad we can't make the right wing fearmongers stop scaring the hell out of everyone, and the oil industry to stop jacking up gas prices, then maybe the recovery would pick up speed.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-22-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
IMO its going to take two men two terms to get this country back to what it should be.
When, exactly, was the country what it should be and why? I personally believe that there's lots of mythology embodied in this POV.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
When, exactly, was the country what it should be and why? I personally believe that there's lots of mythology embodied in this POV.
LOTS and LOTs---Mountains of it in fact. The "Good ol' Days" crap is so deep it's amazing we get any sunlight at all.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
LOTS and LOTs---Mountains of it in fact. The "Good ol' Days" crap is so deep it's amazing we get any sunlight at all.
I think it's people wistfully conflating their idyllic childhood/adolescence years with no worries/responsibilities with what they (incorrectly) remember as a time when all was hunky dory in the world. Now that they've grown up, they attribute their adult concerns to the negative perceptions about the government and America's status in the world. They're forgetting, of course, that adults in the 50's were doing duck-and-cover drills because of the Soviet menace, racism was rampant, and kids caught polio.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Admin

Rose colored glasses, indeed. Those nuke drills is grade school (early sixties) were a trip. Place your head firmly between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Area Man

The twenties and thirties were racked with economic volatility, organized crime activity and labor unrest. The fourties ravaged by war and Fascism. The 60's full of social upheaval, anti-war protests and the steady stream of flag draped coffins returning from Vietnam. In the '70s we battled the devastating effects of Disco, crappy cars and terrible interior decorating. In the eighties Saint Ronnie inspired a generation of Gordon Gekko-esque corporate vampires to spend the next thirty years bleeding the country dry of any domestic industry and strong paying jobs in the name of "satisfying" their greed. (As if such a thing is even possible.)

And here we are, Pat. Actually arguing with people as to whether or not a little positive news about an increase in exports and the market being over 13k is a good thing..............................

Did you ever in your life think you would have to engage in such an insane argument?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-22-2012 at 04:59 PM.