Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Admin

Talking Hip-Hip-HOORAY! Hip-Hip-HOORAY!

President Obama has won re-election handily despite a concerted effort of big moneyed self interests to thwart the will of the people. It seemed to be touch and go for a long, long time but now it's over. Whew! <Wipes brow>I can only speak for myself but the last few weeks has had me bouncing off the walls and I am really glad that it's over. I do apologized for getting rough and nasty at times. Hopefully you won't hold it against me.

If nothing else, this country needs to learn one lesson out of it. Campaign financial reform needs to be a top priority. The out of control buying and selling of our elections needs to be brought under control. Gifts by lobbyists to legislators and their families needs some heavy scrutiny and reform. I'm all in favor of some heavy jailtime and hefty fines for malfeasers on both sides of this equation.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
If nothing else, this country needs to learn one lesson out of it. Campaign financial reform needs to be a top priority. The out of control buying and selling of our elections needs to be brought under control.
The pissing away of untold millions by Adelson and the Koch Bros. may help self-correct this silliness.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Loyal Opposition

They were talking last night on PBS about Romney buying ads in PA simply because the Campaign had money and needed to spend it.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
They were talking last night on PBS about Romney buying ads in PA simply because the Campaign had money and needed to spend it.

Regards,

D-Ray
I also heard he was buying ads on the little video screens on gas pumps at filling stations.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Americans For Prosperity bought ad time here, what a laugh. Money to burn for sure.

Carl
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
If nothing else, this country needs to learn one lesson out of it. Campaign financial reform needs to be a top priority. The out of control buying and selling of our elections needs to be brought under control. Gifts by lobbyists to legislators and their families needs some heavy scrutiny and reform. I'm all in favor of some heavy jailtime and hefty fines for malfeasers on both sides of this equation.
Who gets to decide? One would think that there is no need for finance reform given yesterday's outcome. So what if the various entities want to spend their money. Think of it as economic stimulus.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Who gets to decide? One would think that there is no need for finance reform given yesterday's outcome. So what if the various entities want to spend their money. Think of it as economic stimulus.
Given the outlay it's amazing that the Republicans didn't steal this election, outright, ya know?

Corporations aren't people, drive a stake through Citizen's United's heart. Then you're left with the same old contribution limits, what were they $1000-$5000 per person IIRC. I don't subscribe to the 'anything goes' notion when you're talking about government, business or society.
Who gets to decide? I think the new Democratic super majority in Sacramento might already be looking into it!
AG Harris has already dragged one of these abominations (CFP from Alexandria, Va. via Arizona IIRC) into court over their illegal support for a couple of propositions. I hope she gets someone's nuts on a plate over it.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I can only speak for myself but the last few weeks has had me bouncing off the walls and I am really glad that it's over.
You're not alone, I've been extremely stressed out during the past month as polls indicated Romney was gaining perpetual favor all over the country. Although I believe our government is broken and I'd planned to say "screw it" this time and not vote for either of them, fear of the catastrophe that would have ensued, were there a Romney presidency, inspired me to change my mind in the end. I can't help but wonder if this same fear might have brought out a lot of other disenchanted last-minute voters and helped make it a decisive victory for Obama.

I mean, come on - Obama got Ohio, Florida, Virginia! What a victory! Change is slow in coming, but it seems at last a majority of our population now see the bullshit and have had enough.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Given the outlay it's amazing that the Republicans didn't steal this election, outright, ya know?

Corporations aren't people, drive a stake through Citizen's United's heart. Then you're left with the same old contribution limits, what were they $1000-$5000 per person IIRC. I don't subscribe to the 'anything goes' notion when you're talking about government, business or society.
Who gets to decide? I think the new Democratic super majority in Sacramento might already be looking into it!
AG Harris has already dragged one of these abominations (CFP from Alexandria, Va. via Arizona IIRC) into court over their illegal support for a couple of propositions. I hope she gets someone's nuts on a plate over it.
We've seen all the good Sacramento has done for California over the last forty years.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Although from what I've seent he right leaning superpacs outspent the left ones, the left ones still spent hundreds of millions.

The result, didn't seem to matter.

I have no problem with it except for campaign overdose.

Pete