Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I think you guys know it is the classical definition of 'Liberal', not what we call you crazy left-wingers today

No comments on his views of the Bible?

Pete
Hey, the right wing has co-opted the word conservative. We'll co-opt the word liberal when it suits our fancy and helps throw the Right into a tizzy.

Regarding Adams, he was a Unitarian, was he not? I guess in today's terms, he would be a dreaded secular humanist.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I think you guys know it is the classical definition of 'Liberal', not what we call you crazy left-wingers today
Indeed we do. That's what makes it funny.

Quote:
I'm familiar with some of his thoughts, but I'd be interested in what exactly you are refering to Pete. In the past when I've talked to you about such issues you've not seemed willing to admit that any of our Founding Fathers were anything other than good dogmatic Christians.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Maybe so. But then "classical liberalism" doesn't necessarily mesh with modern day conservatism, either. Does it?

Other than the fact that his father was a deacon, and that he, (John) studied "scriptures three days per week", no. But, then, I am only just starting Chapter Three. So far I take it he had some fairly strong religious beliefs. But, then so did Jefferson............

Pete
Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-19-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I figured you guys were yanking 'our' chains....

I am not a dogmatic Christian. Salvation is a gift from God, not dogma. Christians are people too and sin. It doesn't mean they're not Christians! John Adams, not a Christian?

Although there are plenty of folks who believe Unitarians are going to hell. I'm not so sure I know better than God.

"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite....And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: . . . Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System."

John Adams - Lester J. Capon, ed., The Adams-Jefferson Letters 2 vols. (Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1959), 2:339-40

"The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue equity and humanity…"

John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, Ed., (Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1856) III:421, dairy entry for July 26, 1796.

That odd fact I keep coming across in various arguments is that most Founders weren't 'real' Christians. Interesting argument! Heck, they all went to church.

Pete
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
That odd fact I keep coming across in various arguments is that most Founders weren't 'real' Christians.
Well, not in the right-wing, radical, evangelical, fruitcake, Southern Baptist and hate machine manner that the tea Baggers -- and single-toothed southerners with confederate flags on their 1974 Ford Maverick with a gun rack -- would try to get us to believe.

Providing, of course, they accept the legitimacy of any Founding Father beyond Jefferson Davis.

I'm in a mood, today...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Heck, they taught the Bible in public schools!

Anyway, don't mean to threadjack, I'll bow out (as gracefully as a Polack can).

Pete
Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Heck, they taught the Bible in public schools!

Pete

They still do in highschool where I live, and kids are graded on it. Alot of places probly don't I'm sure, but here you'd be hard pressed to find a parent that would vote no to Bible teaching in school. Until more non believers move in on us, we should be safe to carry on for a while. I remember my sons 9'th grade teacher standing before his class the last day of school before Christmas break. He told the class that the school was informed they could no longer wish kids a Merry Christmas and are sposed to be saying Happy Hollidays. He said, '' I'd like to take this time to wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ''. Now, my question is, why can't other schools show some balls?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Until more non believers move in on us, we should be safe to carry on for a while.
Merely because you don't want an allegorical book, edited by King James, forced upon children as graded criteria doesn't mean you're a non-believer.

It means you can think and don't believe in talking snakes.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
. . ."The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue equity and humanity…"

John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, Ed., (Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1856) III:421, dairy entry for July 26, 1796.

Pete

Really? Was this the same religion that mounted the Crusades and pillaged the Holy Land? Not to mention the Jews they slaughtered on the way to Jerusalem.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
(as gracefully as a Polack can).
Gee, I wonder if Twodogs is ok with polacks