Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Ready

Diagnosing Trump is Totally Beside the Point!

So says Dr. Allen Frances, one of the principal authors of disorder-defining DSM. His opinion actually is that Trump has no disorder, because he functions well and is not in 'distress.'

Of course, in saying this, he as much as anyone is 'diagnosing from a distance.' A negative diagnosis is a diagnosis.

But I like his bigger point better. He says we need to stop Trump, who is a politician, with political methods. Trump should be impeached for bad behavior, not for a mental state.

He further observes the following:
Quote:
American politics has become polarized in the last 40 years. I think the people of the US have also been polarized by the extensive and successful propaganda campaigns of right-wing talk radio, internet sites, Fox News.

The two people who most influenced advertising were a nephew of Sigmund Freud, Edward Bernays, and the father of behavioral psychology, John Watson. Advertising basically is applied psychology — the ability to influence people without their being aware of it. Those techniques have been very successful in brainwashing a large proportion of our population and polarizing the political process.

So, what do you think should happen going forward?

The Democratic Party has its heart in the right place, but has a remarkable deficit in strategic savvy. During heat of the Trumpcare debate, they didn’t have an alternative policy. I don’t necessarily trust the Democratic Party at this point to be an effective opposition to the destructive climate, facts, and medical policies of the Trump administration. I think there has to be much more active public participation in pushing the politicians in the right direction.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/2/16...ality-disorder

Well and good, but I continue to wonder if, given the dangerous effectiveness of modern propaganda, more radical changes to our 'media order' will not be necessary to counter it.

Last edited by donquixote99; 09-03-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Ready

Quote:
Those techniques have been very successful in brainwashing a large proportion of our population....
Say, I wonder if 'being successfully brainwashed' constitutes an induced disorder that's in the book somewhere. Might be grounds for calling such campaigns 'mental assault.' And yes, I'm serious.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Some if the most fucked up, self-absorbed, terminally unique motherfuckers on earth sat on various DSM panels over the years. Mostly psychiatrists and PhD clinical psychologists who haven't done a nano-second of direct service in decades.

It was pompous assholes like Allen Frances who decided that narcissistic personality disorder should be eliminated from the DSM-5 because it might make narcissists feel bad about themselves.

Frances seems to agree that Trump needs to go...but not because he's massively psychpathologically impaired? Frances thinks Trump should be impeached for his bad behavior, not his mental state. Since when is bad behavior not about one's mental state? Trump behaves the way he behaves because he is a malignant hostile narcissist. Allen Frances is a fucking idiot.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 09-03-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Ready

I like Frances, because his comments gave me the idea in post 2. Outlaw mental assault committed using fake news!

An article that shows harm being done, from Smithsonian magazine: How Fake News Breaks Your Brain http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...ain-180963894/
Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Banned

If the American people are being brainwashed it's primarily because the American people are too fucking intellectually lazy to to pay attention to the shit being shoveled at them.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Jigsawed

From the link: and so I very much object to using psychiatric labels, particularly in the political context.

A good read.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
From the link: and so I very much object to using psychiatric labels, particularly in the political context.

A good read.
There's no separating maladaptive behavior from psychopathological impairment. There's no separating that from those in pubic office exhibiting either or both. At least their shouldn't be.