Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Personally, I believe every generation feels that way (nostalgia) and our best days as a people, nation and society are ahead of us: we just won't recognize it until it is behind us.

For example, anyone who believes late 2001-2008 was more stressful than 1966-1972 has lost a sense of perspective.
Probaly right ,just cant get the Idea that some young pearson will look back at this time and think of it as good,but the way things are progressing it will be good considering whats to comeBut that is theary too)

I really need to schedule a appointment with my mind counselor.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:27 AM

My actual time to be a young man in America would be 1910-1970 the industrial revolution was in full swing.give otr take a few years.hence wwhy I alsways ponder "if there ever was a time"
Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Mutated Member

Do not forget folks that our body and therefore also to some extent our psyche weakens the older we get. So it is more difficult for us to cope with things we experience stressful in the everyday life than for people who are 30 years younger than we are.

On one hand I think that Barbara is right when says that we tend towards to oversee the things that were bad in former times and look back into a fine nostalgic world. On the other hand I think that a lot of us were happier then without the www, without laptop, desktop, smartphone and all that electronic stuff that surrounds us every day. Just in this moment I am sitting here on my desk instead of taking a walk in the woods and tasting the smell of spring.

I fear that the forthcoming generation will be totally swallowed by electronics and will lose almost everything what makes a human being human.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 03-15-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 AM

all the electronic gizmos have seemd to gobble up the kids ,and the parents too.Hell even me to an extent,spend all my free time on this beast.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

It is relative in some ways, the last ten years of my first marriage were, as Congreve put it "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned." where as the years from 1983 to the present have been sheer bliss, we are like a single soul that happens to occupy two bodies. But we do close the doors and shut the world out most of the time. At the moment I have misplaced my creative muse and so work on the novel is in a hiatus, but it will come back, not the first time I have had a dry spell.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Do not forget folks that our body and therefore also to some extent our psyche weakens the older we get. So it is more difficult for us to cope with things we experience stressful in the everyday life than for people who are 30 years younger than we are.

On one hand I think that Barbara is right when says that we tend towards to oversee the things that were bad in former times and look back into a fine nostalgic world. On the other hand I think that a lot of us were happier then without the www, without laptop, desktop, smartphone and all that electronic stuff that surrounds us every day. Just in this moment I am sitting here on my desk instead of taking a walk in the woods and tasting the smell of spring.

I fear that the forthcoming generation will be totally swallowed by electronics and will lose almost everything what makes a human being human.
I heard an interesting perspective on the internet the other day. As omnipresent as the internet and social medial are now, it hasn't been around that long. We as a society are going through growing pains with this still new technology. Twitter, Facebook, Politicalchat, and the like are part of the growth process, but as the technology matures we will use it in a way that makes it more personal than virtual.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It is relative in some ways, the last ten years of my first marriage were, as Congreve put it "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned." where as the years from 1983 to the present have been sheer bliss, we are like a single soul that happens to occupy two bodies. But we do close the doors and shut the world out most of the time. At the moment I have misplaced my creative muse and so work on the novel is in a hiatus, but it will come back, not the first time I have had a dry spell.
Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a "thing". Everyone says it of their generation. I suspect it has to do with a deepening dissatisfaction with ones own circumstances and a growing sense of disconnection from culture in the face of inevitable change and innovation.

That being said, I don't think there can be any doubt that we're worse off now than we were 35 years ago or that our children were born into an age that offers them less potential for material improvement than we were. The proof of this is simple math.

Income inequality is one thing, the worst it has ever been here, worse than in the Gilded Age. The worst thing, though, is the environmental degradation, from air to water, from population to climate. These multiple and intertwined crises are going to severely circumscribe our options for the future and it's going to happen soon. Instead of looking for and seizing opportunities for increasing our standard of living and quality of life, we'll be scrambling around trying to figure out how to avoid losing what we have.

It's inevitable and the time to start scrambling has come and gone. The longer we procrastinate, the harder this is going to be. The longer we procrastinate, the less chance we have of ultimate success.

Sorry for the downer.

John
Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Personally, I believe every generation feels that way (nostalgia) and our best days as a people, nation and society are ahead of us: we just won't recognize it until it is behind us.

For example, anyone who believes late 2001-2008 was more stressful than 1966-1972 has lost a sense of perspective.
Agree completely. The only thing that has really gotten worse is traffic.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
all the electronic gizmos have seemd to gobble up the kids ,and the parents too.Hell even me to an extent,spend all my free time on this beast.
Actually, I think it's the kids who are gobbling up the gadgets. I see hope in that. It expands their horizons and makes them totally at home with increasingly complex systems. Their ability to "multitask" is going to be key to their ability to work their way out of the mess we've made.

John
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Ah someone else has read The Mourning Bride ‘Music has charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak’ which is why the stereo is on the local classical station.

Multitasking - the ability to do several things at once, none of them very well.