Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Follow your heart, SCROGGE!!!!!!

Since I've apparently poisoned the well as far as you're concerned, I'll pony up a little extra to cover you.

Chas
LOL. Actually, your post did remind me that I should be giving to the poor and believe it or not your post made me decide to take a ride back home to find some homeless to give some money to.

Hopefully they will be poor because they squandered their money away or because they are lazy but if I can't find any like that I will just give it to the deserving poor.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
LOL. Actually, your post did remind me that I should be giving to the poor and believe it or not your post made me decide to take a ride back home to find some homeless to give some money to.

Hopefully they will be poor because they squandered their money away or because they are lazy but if I can't find any like that I will just give it to the deserving poor.
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

I knew I could count on you!!!!!

Chas
Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

I think I am reasonably compassionate but regards the first paragraph if a man is in need only because he is too lazy to get off his duff and work, or has squandered all he had why would helping either one change things? The lazy one would continue being lazy and the squanderer would likely blow away anything you give him.

A few years back the local church was seeking help for a woman and her family, she was a quadrapelegic. I tuned up her computer and installed a modem (yeah it was that long ago). I gave the kids an old Mac that I had and Florence and I gathered a car load of food for them, and I mean a car load.

Well the boy got on his mother's computer and got online and loaded some POS software and froze the machine pretty good so I said bring it here I'll fix it. The husband arrives driving a new deluxe van with the computer. It took the better part of a day to sort out what the kid had done, but I got it running normally so I told them to come and get it. When they showed up I looked the kid right in the eye and told him I would break both his arms if he touched it again.

About a month after we had done all this to help them out they found out that the husband was going to all the area churches with his sad story. He had been getting so much food he had a neighbor store the overflow. Sure restores one's faith in humanity.

The next Christmas we got the name of another family and loaded the car again. Drove over to this poor single mother's and lo and behold her "boyfriend" is living off her but not doing a lick of work, and she had a teen age daughter. I would not have left that SOB alone in my house with a teenage daughter if I had one. He did not even help unload the car.

I was working then and a hundred dollars or more worth of groceries was no big deal. Can't swing that on a pension now.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I think I am reasonably compassionate but regards the first paragraph if a man is in need only because he is too lazy to get off his duff and work, or has squandered all he had why would helping either one change things? The lazy one would continue being lazy and the squanderer would likely blow away anything you give him.

A few years back the local church was seeking help for a woman and her family, she was a quadrapelegic. I tuned up her computer and installed a modem (yeah it was that long ago). I gave the kids an old Mac that I had and Florence and I gathered a car load of food for them, and I mean a car load.

Well the boy got on his mother's computer and got online and loaded some POS software and froze the machine pretty good so I said bring it here I'll fix it. The husband arrives driving a new deluxe van with the computer. It took the better part of a day to sort out what the kid had done, but I got it running normally so I told them to come and get it. When they showed up I looked the kid right in the eye and told him I would break both his arms if he touched it again.

About a month after we had done all this to help them out they found out that the husband was going to all the area churches with his sad story. He had been getting so much food he had a neighbor store the overflow. Sure restores one's faith in humanity.

The next Christmas we got the name of another family and loaded the car again. Drove over to this poor single mother's and lo and behold her "boyfriend" is living off her but not doing a lick of work, and she had a teen age daughter. I would not have left that SOB alone in my house with a teenage daughter if I had one. He did not even help unload the car.

I was working then and a hundred dollars or more worth of groceries was no big deal. Can't swing that on a pension now.
Kind of makes it hard to feel sorry for people at times, huh?

But if someone asked, and I think they're sincere, I'll always pony up. If I find out later on that I've been scammed, there won't be a second time. And I've helped a few people who I was hard pressed not to kick their ass during the process.

But I'm a soft touch, actually. Gonna die anyway.

Chas
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Just to steer this a bit back on course, we are accepting donations for about another 7-10 days. I will be posting the exact cut off date soon and a bit of info on the families we will be helping in the near future. Thanks to all who have or will be helping.

Grumpy
Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Area Man

Cool. I still have time. Going over the bills tomorrow. Gotta make a house payment. Then....................

Dave
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Hi Folks,

I normally don't rehash old posts, but we are at this time of year again.

Last year VOA helped 4000 families. This year they have had over 8000 apply for assistance. Sadly there is no end in sight for many of these people.

As we have in the past, the Audiokarma family of websites, has once again taken on the task of helping those less fortunate.

Please help if you can and thank you to all those who have.

Dave
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Is this getting resurrected for 2011? I donate a lot locally but would be willing to chip in.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Admin

Here we go again. If you can, step up and help. Every bit helps.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=560346
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Admin

A gentle reminder to all you godless heathens and fascistic authoritarians...

Licorice pizza is being served up by our fearless leader Grumpy.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174