Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Area Man

Oh, I know. I had a special quote from a stupid liberal, on the subject of patriotism and it's relation to war, that I knew he would just love;

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
---Albert Einstein

Dave
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 AM

Would that apply for those wearing blue helmets as well?

Chas
Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Area Man

Of course.

Dave
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Oh, I know. I had a special quote from a stupid liberal, on the subject of patriotism and it's relation to war, that I knew he would just love;

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
---Albert Einstein

Dave
Einstein was a pacifist...until he was witness to, and then escaped from, the rise of Nazism. In the early '30's, he renounced pacifism and urged western powers to take a stand against Nazi Germany.

Seemingly, the "stupid liberal' evolved....
Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Maher is a sarcastic, profane, irreverent, smartass entertainer that, arguably, crosses lines that he shouldn't in an effort to elicit laughs. I can identify with this.

Limbaugh is a power drunk, self aggrandizing, malevolent oaf whose single greatest gift in life is his ability to find, then manipulate the weak minded. He uses his perch on the bully pulpit to do sincere, heartfelt, and intentional harm.
There's no business like show business!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Einstein was a pacifist...until he was witness to, and then escaped from, the rise of Nazism. In the early '30's, he renounced pacifism and urged western powers to take a stand against Nazi Germany.

Seemingly, the "stupid liberal' evolved....

He made the unenviable and rational selection between two nightmarish eventualities after his "fight or flight" response mechanism selected the latter,with the USA being his optimal choice of destination.

The ever increasing weight of the first hand accounts of concentration camp survivors and witness to those and other atrocities pushed him off center, but, he remained a pacifist. He reached the tipping point upon learning of the intensity of pursuit, and tangible progress of, the Nazi pursuit of nuclear weaponry. To a degree that few, (if any) others alive, he could grasp and foresee the immense destructive potential of such weaponry. He had intimate knowledge of the barbaric mindset of Hitler and his blind following, hence he knew they would use them with impunity, and would surely succeed in conquering the entire planet, and catastrophically contaminate it in the process.

Einstein persuaded the USA to create nuclear weapons before the Axis powers obtained them and seized total world control, something they had already made some serious headway doing without nukes.

Einstein did not "evolve". He remained a pacifist. He was brilliant enough to comprehend the gravity of the situation, and noble enough to compromise his own core beliefs for the good of mankind. He never advocated the use of force or violence.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
He made the unenviable and rational selection between two nightmarish eventualities after his "fight or flight" response mechanism selected the latter,with the USA being his optimal choice of destination.

The ever increasing weight of the first hand accounts of concentration camp survivors and witness to those and other atrocities pushed him off center, but, he remained a pacifist. He reached the tipping point upon learning of the intensity of pursuit, and tangible progress of, the Nazi pursuit of nuclear weaponry. To a degree that few, (if any) others alive, he could grasp and foresee the immense destructive potential of such weaponry. He had intimate knowledge of the barbaric mindset of Hitler and his blind following, hence he knew they would use them with impunity, and would surely succeed in conquering the entire planet, and catastrophically contaminate it in the process.

Einstein persuaded the USA to create nuclear weapons before the Axis powers obtained them and seized total world control, something they had already made some serious headway doing without nukes.

Einstein did not "evolve". He remained a pacifist. He was brilliant enough to comprehend the gravity of the situation, and noble enough to compromise his own core beliefs for the good of mankind. He never advocated the use of force or violence.
Well put - and a pretty forceful example of the impracticality of trying to define "good and evil."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Einstein did not "evolve". He remained a pacifist.
Incorrect. He disavowed pacifism publicly. He did remain steadfastly opposed to the use of nuclear weapons, however.

"In July of that year (1933), Einstein wrote to Alfred Nahon recanting his militant pacifism. He reasoned that if smaller countries like Belgium did not develop their military, they would be overrun and no longer exist. This letter, at Einstein’s request, was published in La Patrie humanie for other pacifists to read. Einstein received criticism for abandoning pacifism in many forms including publicly by Brent Dow Allison in a 1934 article entitled “Speak, Einstein, for the Peace for Europe.” In his response, Einstein justified the change by concentrating on the change in the political circumstances. He writes, “I do not believe that under present circumstance passive resistance is an effective method, even if carried out in the most heroic manner…The confirmed pacifist must therefore at present seek a plan of action different from that of former, more peaceful times”(Rowe & Schulmann, 2007, p. 286)."

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mdfairc/...rtEinstein.pdf

Last edited by whell; 03-12-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Incorrect. He disavowed pacifism publicly. He did remain steadfastly opposed to the use of nuclear weapons, however.
as it applied to Nazi Germany, he very certainly and publicly disavowed pacifism, I agree. This is well documented. He sniffed out the realities of what was to come early on, and spoke up.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
as it applied to Nazi Germany, he very certainly and publicly disavowed pacifism, I agree. This is well documented. He sniffed out the realities of what was to come early on, and spoke up.
Yep.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...leducationnews