Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I recently told me nieces son, a 20 year old college student;

"......This is nothing new. Private militia have been around as long as I can remember.
Yeah, but................ http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...f-the-militias

John
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Terrible sad and stupid occurrence but from what I just read the shooter been charged.

I wounder being unable to find an image of Diren and him being of Turkish ancestry if racism or profiling might be an issue? We would assume a problem with language and cultural differences at the least.

Barney
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned

I don't think there's any question among right minded Americans that our democratized gun carnage is (y'know I was gonna say "crazy" but it's not "crazy" which implies out of one's control to a large extent, so instead I'm gonna say) despicable.

You may have seen my favorite example here already, but I'll say it again. Within six months of their single mass school shooting, the Dunblane incident in 1997, the British people through their governmental process, outlawed all handguns and most other firearms outside of long barreled non-automatic hunting rifles and shotguns. The result? The gun homicide rate in the US is now 40 times the rate in the UK.

This shooting. Well...the SCOTUS has already decided we all have the right to defend our property with lethal force. And the courts have decided that even if the incident turns out to not have been a situation that actually required lethal force, that if the shooter simply mistakenly thought it required lethal force, it's still justified.

Vice-President Thomas R. Marshall was wrong when he said: "What this country really needs is a good five-cent cigar."

What this five-cent cigar really needs is a good country.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Somehow conservatives believe that unlimited access to firearms for everyone solves more problems than it causes. They think such senseless shootings are a fair price to pay for their "freedom." Though I've been a gun owner for nearly 50 years, I still don't get it.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

However, we really don't know all the specifics.

Although, I am assuming that if the homeowner possessed a weapon prior to entering the garage, he knew someone was in there. Therefore, I would agree that I would wait inside the house with weapon ready and wait until law enforcement arrives. And, even at that point, I would have not fired or struck until I was certain the intruder was a clear threat. But, I would not have proceeded into the garage.

Dave
I've had two incidents where I was awakened by a noise in my garage.

The first was when a garage door spring broke.

The second was when a bicycle rack that I had hung a bike on came down from the wall, along with the bike.

Both times it was a big crash and I had no idea what it was.

Both times I went out to investigate and both times I took a gun with me just in case.

Neither time was I looking to shoot anybody, just figured it wouldn't hurt to have a gun.

However, in either case, if I had been reasonably sure there was someone in my garage I wouldn't have gone out there.

I probably would have called the Police.

On the other hand back in the days when I had my two teenaged boys I was often awakened by the sound of one or both of them coming in late on a non school night and making as much noise as a bull in a china shop. I was so used to it then, I would just go back to sleep.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 04-28-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Reserving any physical harm by gun, knife, truncheon or whatever for when or if he should attempt to kick in the door.

However, we really don't know all the specifics.

Although, I am assuming that if the homeowner possessed a weapon prior to entering the garage, he knew someone was in there. Therefore, I would agree that I would wait inside the house with weapon ready and wait until law enforcement arrives. And, even at that point, I would have not fired or struck until I was certain the intruder was a clear threat. But, I would not have proceeded into the garage.

Dave
Totally agree.

Something is going on there thou. finn posted two articles almost the same. Maybe locally they are having a rash of crime/home invasions.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I don't think there's any question among right minded Americans that our Republicanized gun carnage is (y'know I was gonna say "crazy" but it's not "crazy" which implies out of one's control to a large extent, so instead I'm gonna say) despicable.

You may have seen my favorite example here already, but I'll say it again. Within six months of their single mass school shooting, the Dunblane incident in 1997, the British people through their governmental process, outlawed all handguns and most other firearms outside of long barreled non-automatic hunting rifles and shotguns. The result? The gun homicide rate in the US is now 40 times the rate in the UK.

This shooting. Well...the SCOTUS has already decided we all have the right to defend our property with lethal force. And the courts have decided that even if the incident turns out to not have been a situation that actually required lethal force, that if the shooter simply mistakenly thought it required lethal force, it's still justified.

Vice-President Thomas R. Marshall was wrong when he said: "What this country really needs is a good five-cent cigar."

What this five-cent cigar really needs is a good country.
Fixed that for you.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Banned

Tons of assumption in this thread.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Mutated Member

As a reminder, Dan, this thread is also about Diren who was killed by one of your fellow citizens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diren.jpg (36.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
As a reminder, Dan, this thread is also about Diren who was killed by one of your fellow citizens.
Thanks for putting a face to this!

Barney