Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Resident octogenarian

I believe that the enrollment period is only for getting into the plan first time. We recently enrolled Florence into Part D because she was reaching her limit on my retirement plan. All we had to do was prove that my retirement plan was better than Part D so as not to pay the penalty. They agreed that it was much better, but Part D gets discounts that were unavailable to us before.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
My inquiry wasn't about obamacare being good or not it was what stops someone on the cheap plan from switching to a better plan when they find out they need better insurance due to a condition? I'm just thinking why should anyone take a good plan if you can simply switch it up with a preexisting condition.

My opinion has changed on the whole topic to thinking a single payer may be the lesser of two confusing evils when it comes to healthcare. I work, have a good job and have an excellent healthcare plan. I know the majority of Americans are not as fortunate. Obamacare, single payer, or anything else will never be as good as I have now. Once this goes through it's just a matter of time before my current plan is gone because my employer will not pay for it anymore. Don't hand me this oh you will not be effected, I will and it sucks.
Everything has to do with what your state plans to do. Your employer too. But rest assured if he does change anything at all it is because wants to not that he has to. That and he has a contempt for his employees that can be expressed with his middle finger. That in itself is a good thing to know if you do bust your butt for your boss and think he cares.
Anyway, I guess you are not in Ca.? No way for me to know. So maybe what I post does not apply to you? Beats me....
No matter, it is a done deal and you should know how to web search the truth for yourself because you will not see any of it on commercial driven TV, there is too much money to be made exploiting it.

Carl
Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Thanks Carl. I work in NY for the public sector and we have a collective bargaining agreement. I'm well aware of Google search but try searching Obama Care and you don't actually get facts, you get political stand points.

I don't have a boss flagging me the bird, we have a negotiation with politicians every couple years and every time we come to the table the idea of lessening all of our other benefits for continuing to pay the rising costs of insurance takes place. We lose days off, vacation time and sick time to deal with double digit increases in premiums. Then obamacare hits which we are told will not effect premium rates and guess what, they increase 17% in the last two years. Next year we negotiate, should be lots of fun.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Yes... Premiums have been increasing in cost and benefits have been shrinking where I work too. But this has been going on for the last ten years, long before the Affordable Care Act.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Well the way I see it is that if you work for the public sector there are uninsured tax payers paying your salary and subsidizing your insurance costs to some degree, even if your premiums are going up. They deserve a chance to get covered under Obamacare. I too work in the public sector and want everyone insured. It will keep me insured in the long run.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The real fear is that Obamacare will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Yep.

If the naysayers really thought it wouldn't work they would be sitting back letting the disaster unfold.

That they are tripping over themselves trying to escalate the scare tactics says a lot.
The real fear is that there won't be enough good seats to get a good view of the train wreck when it happens.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Yes... Premiums have been increasing in cost and benefits have been shrinking where I work too. But this has been going on for the last ten years, long before the Affordable Care Act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Well the way I see it is that if you work for the public sector there are uninsured tax payers paying your salary and subsidizing your insurance costs to some degree, even if your premiums are going up. They deserve a chance to get covered under Obamacare. I too work in the public sector and want everyone insured. It will keep me insured in the long run.
Yup and yup. I've got family in the public sector out here in California that back that up. Trust me, Mike it isn't the dems who painted a target on the backs of every public sector union employee during the last twenty years or more. After they gutted the private sector unions, you all became the next targets for oblivion. Here's a Google search that'll blow your mind - "Costa Mesa pink slips."
The righties aren't after your insurance, they want your jobs.

Last edited by bobabode; 09-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The real fear is that there won't be enough good seats to get a good view of the train wreck when it happens.
More Heritage Action talking points, Mike.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I cannot wait until November 2016 when either Biden or Hillary is elected because the GOP decided to go coalition shrinking instead of coalition building.
I will gladly greet you good morning on the Wednesday following the THIRD Democratic Presidential vicory in a row Mike
Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM

I agree Bob I don't blame the dems when it comes to breaking up private sector unions. Hell my union supported Obama since Romney was against collective bargaining and spoke out against it. My job is only worth my benefits. I could go get a private sector job doing what I do and I'd make much more money at the expensive of losing my benefits so in the end...

Tax payers pay your salary! Speaking like a true politician icenine. Why don't you yell your lucky you have a job too while your at it, I like that one. I'm not too worried about the people who pay my salary, I doubt they are uninsured by the view of their million dollar homes and BMWs. I could never afford to pay the taxes on a house anywhere in the town I work.

During the late 90's people laughed at my job and the lower salaries we made while they were raking it in. Now they are unemployed and wish they had my job which I'm lucky I have.