Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Exclamation Obamacare - limited access to docs and hospitals

For those of you considering purchasing care at a health insurance exchange, this article should be of interest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/he...anted=all&_r=0

Its rather amazing that the media didn't come forward with info like this before now, a week before the exchanges are set to come on line nationwide. The gist if this article is that health insurance carriers, in order to meet cost targets, are offering health plans with smaller networks of docs and hospitals, and reimbursing those providers at lower rates than their commercial lines of medical insurance.

This appears to be the case nationwide, and will likely meet the cost targets for at least the "bronze" level of coverage available through exchanges. In those states that opted for a federal exchange, the bronze coverage level will be the only option available until at least 2015.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM

So if I'm a young guy just out of school with a big student loan and not the best paying job I can take a "bronze" plan because I'm a healthy individual. Then I find out I have leukemia and need treatment but cannot go to the best hospitals because they do not accept my cheapo bama-plan.

In this instance what would stop a person after being diagnosed with something serious to switch to a higher end plan since there is no preexisting condition clauses?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Better than no insurance at all....so you are limited to what doctor you can see.
That is nothing new for me....I do not have a regular doctor at the military base I see the current resident they assign me every year....but as long as the treatment is consistent no harm is done.

Once you have a very serious illness your primary doctor will not be the main player in your treatment...that is the spe************************t, and you will not have too many choices for that anyway.

Leukemia will be probably treated on an outpatient basis. My brother died from prostrate cancer...he died at his home in a hospice bed in his living room, not in a hospital. That is how most cancer patients die I think. Either at home or in a hospice.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM

The real fear is that Obamacare will work.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes indeed, all the the scare tactics and attempts to delay forever as well as all the rest of the lies will not stop until after Oct.1st. Meanwhile the people in Mass. seem to be too happy to mess with a good thing and Gavin Newsom's SF city plan keep on moving along. The restaurant owners whined about cost of the SF plan too but in reality there are more successful restaurants in SF than ever before. And all their employees have the health care plan.

Carl
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The real fear is that Obamacare will work.
Yep.

If the naysayers really thought it wouldn't work they would be sitting back letting the disaster unfold.

That they are tripping over themselves trying to escalate the scare tactics says a lot.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM

My inquiry wasn't about obamacare being good or not it was what stops someone on the cheap plan from switching to a better plan when they find out they need better insurance due to a condition? I'm just thinking why should anyone take a good plan if you can simply switch it up with a preexisting condition.

My opinion has changed on the whole topic to thinking a single payer may be the lesser of two confusing evils when it comes to healthcare. I work, have a good job and have an excellent healthcare plan. I know the majority of Americans are not as fortunate. Obamacare, single payer, or anything else will never be as good as I have now. Once this goes through it's just a matter of time before my current plan is gone because my employer will not pay for it anymore. Don't hand me this oh you will not be effected, I will and it sucks.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
My inquiry wasn't about obamacare being good or not it was what stops someone on the cheap plan from switching to a better plan when they find out they need better insurance due to a condition? I'm just thinking why should anyone take a good plan if you can simply switch it up with a preexisting condition.

My opinion has changed on the whole topic to thinking a single payer may be the lesser of two confusing evils when it comes to healthcare. I work, have a good job and have an excellent healthcare plan. I know the majority of Americans are not as fortunate. Obamacare, single payer, or anything else will never be as good as I have now. Once this goes through it's just a matter of time before my current plan is gone because my employer will not pay for it anymore. Don't hand me this oh you will not be effected, I will and it sucks.
I would rather have everyone covered under basic premiums instead of a minority covered under cadillac plans. If your employer is not willing to wait to see if your plan will become cheaper for him/her to pay for overtime then he/she is not really treating you right is he?
The individual mandate over time should bring costs down.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

Has it not dawned on you that you are criticizing the ACA when it is the greed of the insurers that is at fault here. The government tries to do the decent thing but it is the private sector that y'all glorify that screws up every time.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post

I believe one can only change plans once a year.... So an individual in your scenario would have to wait for open enrollment to switch plans.

But, I don't see that as a problem, necessarily. Shouldn't we be able to purchase the plan that best suits our needs as our needs change over time?