Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Tweeting a Nelson Mandella quote makes someone a "real President"? Who knew it was that easy?
How about these two former Republican presidents? Do you think Trump would be remotely capable of stringing together a couple of sentences like these from President George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush (instead of bragging about Trump Winery in Charlottesville?)

"America must always reject racial bigotry, anti-Semitism, and hatred in all forms. As we pray for Charlottesville, we are reminded of the fundamental truths recorded by that city's most prominent citizen in the Declaration of Independence: we are all created equal and endowed by our Creator with unalienable rights. We know these truths to be everlasting because we have seen the decency and greatness of our country."
Old 08-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Whether you have the capacity to understand it or not, a lot of people are very upset about having a White Nationalist/Nazi-Sympathizer as president and a neo-Nazi as his chief policy advisor. Some people are funny that way.
So, you're advocating vigilantism too? Or are you just suggesting that you understand why some would be justified for pursuing vigilantly-style solutions?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
How about these two former Republican presidents? Do you think Trump would be remotely capable of stringing together a couple of sentences like these from President George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush (instead of bragging about Trump Winery in Charlottesville?)

"America must always reject racial bigotry, anti-Semitism, and hatred in all forms. As we pray for Charlottesville, we are reminded of the fundamental truths recorded by that city's most prominent citizen in the Declaration of Independence: we are all created equal and endowed by our Creator with unalienable rights. We know these truths to be everlasting because we have seen the decency and greatness of our country."
Sounds like the Trump comments...without the reference to "all sides".
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Sounds like the Trump comments...without the reference to "all sides".
Only to your Nazi-sympathizing ears.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
So, you're advocating vigilantism too? Or are you just suggesting that you understand why some would be justified for pursuing vigilantly-style solutions?
Where have I once advocated for vigilantism? I've said several times that I would preferred that anti-Fascists would have been able to ignore your fellow travelers on the Right.

However, I do understand how good Americans are upset about having a Nazi-sympathizer (and a guy who ran on a platform of xenophobia) along with the Godfather of the Alt-Right in the White House and a Republican party largely willing to provide cover for these anti-American miscreants (until yesterday, anyway).

What I cannot understand is how one can morally equate Americans with these righteous concerns with Neo-Nazis, the KKK and the Alt-Right (and the president who has emboldened them). Repugnant.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Ready

Whell has never minded being repugnant, if that's what it takes to keep the argument going. I think he actually regards engendering dislike in us as 'counting coup.'
Old 08-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Whell has never minded being repugnant, if that's what it takes to keep the argument going. I think he actually regards engendering dislike in us as 'counting coup.'
And to think these people got all incensed about being called "deplorable."
Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

World leaders (and key allies) on Trump:

“I see no equivalence between those who propound fascist views and those who oppose them. I think it is important for all those in positions of responsibility to condemn far right views wherever we hear them.”
- Theresa May

“We reject and condemn all forms and manifestations of racism and xenophobia. They are incompatible with the values and principles upon which the E.U. is founded.”
- The EU Commissison

“It is unbearable how Trump is now glossing over the violence of the right-wing hordes from Charlottesville. No one should trivialize anti-Semitism and racism by neo-Nazis.”
- Germany Justice Minister Heiko Maas

“Nazis must be confronted decisively. What Trump is doing is highly incendiary. Those who downplay violence and hate betray the values of the West!”
- Martin Schulz, SPD Party Leader in Germany
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
The American Revolution was a vigilante like solution.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Borowitz

Quote:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A growing chorus of Americans is demanding that an offensive symbol of racism be removed from public property.

Creating outrage since it was first installed at a historic landmark in January, the symbol, a figure of a man standing six feet two and weighing approximately two hundred and fifty pounds, has emerged as one of the most despised objects in the country.

Now, less than seven months after the figure’s installation, calls for its removal have spread from home to abroad, with many of the nation’s allies wondering what possessed Americans to put such an odious figure in such a visible position.

Large protests broke out this week in New York City, where the offensive symbol was briefly on display.

“Every time I see [the racist symbol] on TV, I want to change the channel,” one protester said. “I can’t stand looking at it.”

“This symbol is a part of America’s dark, ugly past,” another protester said, echoing the opinions of many. “It has no business being here in 2017.”