Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM

I don't like the fact that ANY governments have the fearsome armaments they do, and I certainly don't agree with US foreign policy more often than not. That really has nothing to do with the fact that I don't want any individual wackos running around with rocket launchers or even assault rifles. All that BS about watering some metaphorical tree with the blood of tyrants and patriots is a nice sound bite. Tell that to the families of Columbine, or Virginia, or the Gifford tragedy, or... on and on and on and on and on. Far more people have and will be killed by psychos with weapons they shouldn't possess than will be killed in any armed struggle that actually results in "freedom." Freedom from what??? Freedom for whom? Freedom these days is a word that really means "We at ACME Mega Corp want to poison your groundwater with hyrdofracking, spill millions of gallons of oil into your waterways, modify the genetics of your crops to force you to use our herbicides (and then sue your ass when your natural crops get contaminated by cross-polinization), invent ridiculously convoluted financial derivatives to steal your money, etc etc... and do it FREE from regulation and FREE from taxation. You think any of this BS about "freedom" has anything to do at all with helping the INDIVIDUAL? Laughable.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
I don't like the fact that ANY governments have the fearsome armaments they do, and I certainly don't agree with US foreign policy more often than not. That really has nothing to do with the fact that I don't want any individual wackos running around with rocket launchers or even assault rifles. All that BS about watering some metaphorical tree with the blood of tyrants and patriots is a nice sound bite. Tell that to the families of Columbine, or Virginia, or the Gifford tragedy, or... on and on and on and on and on. Far more people have and will be killed by psychos with weapons they shouldn't possess than will be killed in any armed struggle that actually results in "freedom." Freedom from what??? Freedom for whom? Freedom these days is a word that really means "We at ACME Mega Corp want to poison your groundwater with hyrdofracking, spill millions of gallons of oil into your waterways, modify the genetics of your crops to force you to use our herbicides (and then sue your ass when your natural crops get contaminated by cross-polinization), invent ridiculously convoluted financial derivatives to steal your money, etc etc... and do it FREE from regulation and FREE from taxation. You think any of this BS about "freedom" has anything to do at all with helping the INDIVIDUAL? Laughable.
Tell it brother, tell it.!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
WOW!!!!!

Rock on, JonL!!!!!

Dave
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
you don't understand, guns make us safe
Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Freedom for government control of everything. And there is no doubt that business has a great deal of influence in government. By both parties. So give government - more power?

Let's not zoom in on sound bites. Here is more:

"Wonderful is the effect of impudent & persevering lying. The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, & what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts? And can history produce an instance of rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13. states independent 11 years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century & a half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. ..."

The whole letter: http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs...rien/blood.htm

Pete
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

The only part of that diatribe I believed was the last sentence about natural manure. That this nation was born in violence seems to have set the mood.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

All nations have been born in violence.

Pete
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
All nations have been born in violence.

Pete
not really
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

No? Some might have changed a bit seemingly peacefully, but if you look back there was always a gun or sword in there.

Pete
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

In Canada's case it was a pen, the one that wrote the British North America act.