Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Asserting imagined evils don't make them true.
I just wish people on both sides of an argument would stop doing that. I'm tired of defending against strawman arguments and responding to posts that use inflammatory and derogatory names as shorthand for imagined evils in an attempt to distract from a substantive discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

I can't believe that after all that has happened, people still don't see that when you either have no rules, or have rules that are not enforced---Some people WILL lie, cheat and steal. What? Hundreds of billions of dollars at play doesn't amount to potential motive? Spare me.

"Imagined evils"? Really? We just "imagine" that these people are insatiably greedy?
Please, again, spare me.

My position, broken down to it's simplest form;

I don't want a government that doesn't regulate. I want a government that regulates firmly, but responsibly. And, I don't get that from either party. I have one party that just piles one ineffective regulation on top of the last, and another party that seems to think the thieves are the good guys, that if we suck up to them they'll create jobs with the money they stole. They are both clueless.

Dave
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm really astonished that the tea party movement, which seems to have started or at least gained traction since the financial meltdown and subsequent gov't bailouts, is manipulated by corporate interests to such an extent that these tea partiers want less government oversight of the people who caused the mess in the first place. Sure, the bailout was highly unpleasant and probably handled poorly. And sure, the government is at fault for not having effective regulation... BUT the major reason the regulations have been ineffective is that the govt is in the pockets of the industries it's supposed to regulate... just like the tea party is now. Instead of the tea party being a force for positive change in gov't, they're just a force to accelerate the rush towards corporate control of government which, by the way, is pretty close to the definition of facism.