Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I've been fortunate in my career to put several people back to work through the arbitration process. You have just described one of the important facets of just cause - notice. Performance based discipline needs to be progressive discipline - performance based discharges that are not preceded by progressive discipline will more often than not be overturned as an "ambush." (assuming the employee is one of that small minority of people who have the protection of a just cause provision in a collective bargaining agreement)

Not only is progressive discipline an important aspect of just cause from a labor law perspective, but it is really sound management. The cost of turnover is enormous. If a company can avoid the cost of finding and training a new employee by taking the time with an existing employee to correct performance issues, it serves the interest of both. I know that from a union perspective, employees who have been given adequate opportunity to correct performance/production issues and have failed to do so are not likely to see a grievance over their discharge proceed to arbitration.

Layoffs are tougher situations. Employees in those instances lose their jobs even when they have performed well. Sometimes, they lose their jobs because those above them in the food chain have not done their jobs well. The only good side of an economic layoff is that it carries with it no stigma of having been discharged for misconduct or poor performance, and thus has a lesser negative impact on future opportunities.

Good luck to all out there who are facing the uncertainties of the job market. I guess I'm "lucky." When our business is bad, I don't get laid off - I just work without getting paid.

Regards,

D-Ray
I do it a little different.

I pay to go to work.

Chas
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Area Man

I've always been afraid of unemployment, even during the best of times. The irony is that I hate work. Just absolutely hate it. So I work all I can squirrelling away as much money as I possibly can in the hopes that I'll be able to retire some day. But, sometimes it seems like the whole friggin' world is out to make sure THAT never happens------Bastards.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Trying to remember, six times unemployed since getting here, now retired and don't have that worry any more.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

I think a forum/forums for discussing all things unemployment is a great idea.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Well...given the circumstances I certainly don't foresee being employed anytime soon. So I will do what I can on my own.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

I see that Senator Brown voted for the Jobs Bill much to the dsipleasure of Mitch McConnell - though he usually has such a sour puss it is difficult to tell.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I see that Senator Brown voted for the Jobs Bill much to the dsipleasure of Mitch McConnell - though he usually has such a sour puss it is difficult to tell.
Yep. What amazes me is the wing-nuts I've seen suggesting him for a Presidential run in 2012.........after only what, a month in office? Just because he's the "41st" who broke the Dems "magic 60" and nothing more?
The shallow logic is amazing, isn't it, Rob?

Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yep. What amazes me is the wing-nuts I've seen suggesting him for a Presidential run in 2012.........after only what, a month in office? Just because he's the "41st" who broke the Dems "magic 60" and nothing more?
The shallow logic is amazing, isn't it, Rob?

Dave
to be fair he is also a playgirl centerfold
Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
to be fair he is also a playgirl centerfold
Which would be an important point with Gay Republicans. (But, the rest of the party doesn't like to talk about them. It's just not good. Take their money, of course, but don't be seen thanking them for it. It will upset the homophobes and the religious zealots.)

Dave
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Which would be an important point with Gay Republicans. (But, the rest of the party doesn't like to talk about them. It's just not good. Take their money, of course, but don't be seen thanking them for it. It will upset the homophobes and the religious zealots.)

Dave
Some wing nut asshole got up at the CPAC Convention and "condemned" the organizers for inviting GOPride, a gay Republican group.

John