Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Ebacon, a couple of thoughts...
Your friend in the catering business needs to know that gov contracts are not set up for big profit margins, especially when it comes to food service. Meeting the nutritional guidelines is not easy and can get costly if he doesn't have bulk buying power or shared overhead.
As for the spot you saw on tv regarding corporations.... I'm not sure what exactly the spot was about, but I can tell you that if a corporation bids on and is awarded a gov contract for food service, they are held to the same standards as anyone else and will have to meet the same nutritional guidelines. For a company like coca cola, that would mean that they could not serve their own product for that lunch.
More than likely, what you saw on tv was that corporations, like coca cola, have made deals with the school system to SELL their products in the cafeteria which is different than the federally subsidized lunch program.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM

10-4.

I'm not a pro on this stuff. Just trying to slog through the noise.

Here are a few blurbs from ConAgra and Dominos.

http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/pd...10_Reasons.pdf
http://schoollunch.dominos.com/Biz-P...nch/index.html

ConAgra has removed salt from their Maxx Bigass Pizza and ChefBoyArbys pasta. That's awesome. Those products are so Italian the kids can probably speak the language after eating the shit while watching Sponge Bob Square Pants and the Dangling Boogers.

God is food from an assembly line awesome. And so cheap. The corporations don't even have to create a single job in the community. They can truck the frozen crap right in and leave it on the shipping dock to thaw in time for lunch. That can't be beat even with a corn dog stick.

I wonder why Akin is against the school lunch program. It beffuddles the hell out of me.

Not.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Wow. There is a school nutrition association. One of the benefits of membership is legislative news. Apparently eating an apple a day and drinking from the water faucet wasn't enough. I don't know how I survived.

From the School Nutrition Association:

Quote:
Learn about important legislative issues, including the implementation of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act and national nutrition standards, as well as use the legislative toolkit and your political voice to help shape and define national, state and local policy related to school nutrition

Just what we need. Another special interest group.

We've gone mad.

How about a strong bakers union instead. They could do real crazy stuff like let high school kids learn to bake bread while at the same time feeding their classmates and getting a sense of community.

Nah. That's child labor and so************************m. Forget it.

Keep trucking in the Maxxass Pizza.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM

hehe.

The board doesn't like so************************m.

How about Hitler?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Hitler's good to go. Awesome.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm was never too concerned about school lunches for my kids. I think that throughout their years in public school, the 3 kids probably cumulatively ate a dozen school meals (and none after about 6th grade). I think I raised 3 foodies, as all of them would rather go hungry than eat that slop.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Resident octogenarian

Even though it was during the depression years we would bike home for lunch from the one room shoolhouse. In the winter we would walk home, couple of miles if memory serves. Funniest part was that the girl who lived next door to the schoolhouse was almosy always let.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 AM

It would surprise me if kids are allowed to leave school grounds during the day anymore. I bet most of them are locked in for security reasons.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Barbara, it seems you know a liitle about this, it may interest you to know that when I was a ward of the state in the early 80s the lady who ran the kitchen told me she got $2.30 per kid to feed them. Not per meal, per day!

Pete
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
It would surprise me if kids are allowed to leave school grounds during the day anymore. I bet most of them are locked in for security reasons.
Around here, only seniors can leave school grounds at lunch. Unfortunately, the food choices available for a quick bite aren't really much better than what's in the cafeteria.