Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks again Akin....

I can't believe no one has posted Mr Akin's latest. These folks really are showing us where they stand.

Time to end all those school lunches so the kids can suffer......

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/17...#storylink=cpy
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I can't believe no one has posted Mr Akin's latest. These folks really are showing us where they stand.

Time to end all those school lunches so the kids can suffer......

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/17...#storylink=cpy
He's an idiot and has been publically disowned by just about everyone in the GOP. That said, whether or not the Federal government ought be involve in financing schools lunches is debatable. Having a proverbial hammer over the states is wrong and will ultimately lead to more centralized power IMHO.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Loyal Opposition

I don't think that we should feed ham breakfasts to politicians.

Our church provides weekend lunch packs to school children in our community who qualify for free lunches. Without the food provided, some of these kids would have nothing at home to eat over the weekend. And this is in the middle of Johnson County - the most affluent county in the state. Just try to fathom the need in less affluent communities. I can't imagine these kids being able to do their job - learning - when they can't get past the rumbling in their bellies.

Regards.

D-Ray
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I wonder if he's against the government subsidized cafeteria (and barber shop) in his office building in DC.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I wonder if he's against the government subsidized cafeteria (and barber shop) in his office building in DC.
Exactly Finn....when are guys like Akin and our own folks here gonna call for these feckers to put their money where their mouth is and not only give back the million dollar pensions and the perks but also to draft legislation, or bettter yet an amendment, that states it's illegal for congress to vote on anything that could possibly help them financially (heathcare, raises, pensions, security....)

Show us you mean business and renounce all that wasteful gov't spending on Reps & Senators.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
He's an idiot and has been publically disowned by just about everyone in the GOP. That said, whether or not the Federal government ought be involve in financing schools lunches is debatable. Having a proverbial hammer over the states is wrong and will ultimately lead to more centralized power IMHO.
But their are many just like him (veepee candidate, maybe?) that they have not disowned.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Oh, he's crazy alright but not stupid. When the GOP cut him off and when he was roundly condemned by what passes for mainstream Republicans these days he quickly realized he was going to have to depend on the reactionary fringe of the Republican Party for contributions and they've stepped up to the plate. Expect more crazy shit from Akin when the coffers get low.

John
Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 PM

The school lunch program does get milked by corporate interests such a Yum Inc., Con-Agra, Coca-Cola, et al. I wouldn't be so quick to throw Akin under the bus for a one-liner. It might be valuable to research his experience and ideas on the topic.

There are a lot of poor people in America. About half of us. Ivory tower big ideas got us into this mess. It will take big ideas to get us out and they might come from simple minds.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 PM

Ebacon, can you explain further your statement about corporations milking school lunches?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Ebacon, can you explain further your statement about corporations milking school lunches?
I'll try.

My opinion comes from two sources. One is an internet friend in the catering business. He lives in south central Michigan and, among other business, serves government contracts in the area. One of the problems he discussed openly was satisfying the caloric and nutritional requirements of government contracts while at the same time making enough money to keep his family afloat. Government contracts had become a majority of his business. I got the sensation that he was being pushed out of business by bureaucratic players, not better food or more personal business. He was stuck in a numbers game that he didn't understand and shouldn't have to as a cook.

The second source was a TV story about a year ago. I forget the network. In any event the gist of the story was a school cafeteria manager that kicked out the Dominos Pizza and Cokes and Starbucks and the like and replaced them with healthier local alternatives.

What is your interest in this story?