Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM

I'm usually pretty open - minded, but...

...this one bugs irks me in many ways.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...97M/story.html

Public school officials are apparently ready to implement new state guidelines to accommodate trans-gender students. From the article:

"For example, transgender students may use bathrooms, locker rooms, and changing areas for the gender with which they identify, but those who are not comfortable doing so should be provided with alternatives, such as a unisex or nurses station’s bathroom.

But transgender students cannot be denied access to their preferred bathroom or locker room because of other students’ discomfort."

So, if my daughter were in a bathroom at school, and a male classmate came into the bathroom, my daughter could not object to that! Sorry, but not while I'm her parent.

Also from the article:

"Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, countered on Friday that the “overriding issue with this new policy is that opening girls’ bathrooms to boys is an invasion of privacy and a threat to all students’ safety.”

No shit. School kids, particularly Jr High and High School students, have an amazing capacity to flout school rules and create all kinds of mischief. This is just asking for trouble, IMHO, and as a father of school age daughters makes me see red.

If this kind of "forward thinking" comes to my school district, there's no way my daughters will continue in our public schools.