Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
You fail once again to read with comprehension. The text you quoted is not a commentary on the future but a survey of the past. The MSM spent nearly every year of the Bush presidency predicting a Recession and probably hoping for a Depression just so they could report on it and call themselves prescient, all while blaming Bush for it.

When it finally happened after 74 months, and happened for reasons unrelated to the Administration's fiscal policy, they still found a way to try and blame Bush for it.
You're so full of shit. The very next sentence beyond what you bolded is "This sort of fiscal and monetary coordination will continue the Bush boom for years to come."

I guess you've never heard the adage "When you're in a hole, quit digging."
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You're so full of shit. The very next sentence beyond what you bolded is "This sort of fiscal and monetary coordination will continue the Bush boom for years to come."

I guess you've never heard the adage "When you're in a hole, quit digging."
You're so full of shit, or reading without comprehension again. As I stated, when the the recession hit, it was triggered by events unrelated to Bush fiscal/tax policy.

Try again, genius, or quit while you're still behind.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
You're so full of shit, or reading without comprehension again. As I stated, when the the recession hit, it was triggered by events unrelated to Bush fiscal/tax policy.

Try again, genius, or quit while you're still behind.
It was caused by his regulatory policy/enforcement of his SEC. You almost seem like supply-side's theory's Michael Cohen - an incompetent fixer and apologist.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It was caused by his regulatory policy/enforcement of his SEC. You almost seem like supply-side's theory's Michael Cohen - an incompetent fixer and apologist.
You really have gotten to the point where you believe your own bullshit, and that spouted by Media Matters and other "sources". Go peddle that BS elsewhere.

This is probably closer to reality, though as the article states its only a "partial list":

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/10/wh...onomic-crisis/

So who is to blame? There’s plenty of blame to go around, and it doesn’t fasten only on one party or even mainly on what Washington did or didn’t do. As The Economist magazine noted recently, the problem is one of "layered irresponsibility … with hard-working homeowners and billionaire villains each playing a role." Here’s a partial list of those alleged to be at fault:

The Federal Reserve, which slashed interest rates after the dot-com bubble burst, making credit cheap.

Home buyers, who took advantage of easy credit to bid up the prices of homes excessively.

Congress, which continues to support a mortgage tax deduction that gives consumers a tax incentive to buy more expensive houses.
Real estate agents, most of whom work for the sellers rather than the buyers and who earned higher commissions from selling more expensive homes.

The Clinton administration, which pushed for less stringent credit and downpayment requirements for working- and middle-class families.
Mortgage brokers, who offered less-credit-worthy home buyers subprime, adjustable rate loans with low initial payments, but exploding interest rates.
Former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, who in 2004, near the peak of the housing bubble, encouraged Americans to take out adjustable rate mortgages.

Wall Street firms, who paid too little attention to the quality of the risky loans that they bundled into Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS), and issued bonds using those securities as collateral.

The Bush administration, which failed to provide needed government oversight of the increasingly dicey mortgage-backed securities market.

An obscure accounting rule called mark-to-market, which can have the paradoxical result of making assets be worth less on paper than they are in reality during times of panic.

Collective delusion, or a belief on the part of all parties that home prices would keep rising forever, no matter how high or how fast they had already gone up.

The U.S. economy is enormously complicated. Screwing it up takes a great deal of cooperation. Claiming that a single piece of legislation was responsible for (or could have averted) the crisis is just political grandstanding. We have no advice to offer on how best to solve the financial crisis. But these sorts of partisan caricatures can only make the task more difficult.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:03 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
You really have gotten to the point where you believe your own bullshit, and that spouted by Media Matters and other "sources". Go peddle that BS elsewhere.
Dubya was in charge for nearly 8 years before the recession and he had ample chance to institute proper regulation of the financial industry. In short, it happened at the end of his long watch.

In any event, my larger point was that your favorite Dotard selected a guy with a history of being wrong on economic matters (and only a BA in history) to be his chief advisor on economic matters. Kudlow seems about as qualified for his position as Carson is for HUD or your gal DeVos is for Education, but in position to do a lot more damage due to his incompetence.

He sounds just like you peddling nonsense about supply-side hocus pocus:

President Trump's top economist blasted the Congressional Budget Office on Tuesday, dismissing the scorekeeper's recent projections that the Republican tax law would push the nation's annual deficit over $1 trillion.

“Never believe the CBO. Very important: Never believe them,” Larry Kudlow, director of Trump's National Economic Council, said during an interview on “Fox & Friends.” “They're always wrong, especially with regard to tax cuts, which they never score properly.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-believe-them/

Last edited by finnbow; 04-17-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 PM

The market thinks Trump's tax cuts are a hollow win for corporate America

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/marke...165000176.html

according to analysts at Morgan Stanley, the earnings gains from tax cuts resemble empty calories for American businesses, with headline earnings gains showing an inflated view of just how good things are in the corporate world. And investors are catching on.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
And you're hilarious. I'm really not a Trump fan, so what does that do to your "studied analysis" above.
We'll need some chestwaders if you're going to try to sell that one, Mike.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 AM
Ready

Quote:
And you're hilarious. I'm really not a Trump fan, so what does that do to your "studied analysis" above.

It confirms my analysis. You're just a bit too slow to realize it.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Congress’ recent moves to cut taxes and and boost spending is helping push the United States to new worldwide heights in terms of debt, according to a report released Wednesday.

The U.S. now has the dubious distinction of being the lone “advanced economy” country out of 35 nations that’s projected to have a higher gross debt-to-GDP ratio five years from now, according to the report from the International Monetary Fund.

“For advanced economies, debt ratios will be declining in almost all,” Vitor Gaspar, director of the IMF’s Fiscal Affairs Department, said in prepared remarks. “But one country stands out as an exception.”

The recent tax cuts and two-year budget agreement will provide a short-term boost to the U.S. economy — but will also help send the United States’ debt-to-GDP ratio from 108 percent in 2018 to 117 percent by 2023, the report said.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ng-other-adva/

And this article comes from the avidly pro-Trump Washington Times.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
We'll need some chestwaders if you're going to try to sell that one, Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It confirms my analysis. You're just a bit too slow to realize it.
Fine. I've got over 10000 posts here. You ought to be able to show me at least one of my posts where I stated i was a fan of supported all of his positions and statements. Show me that post because apparently I missed it.