Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Legalize it...I'll advertise it!

Over on AK a spirited, well-thought-out discussion has been going on regarding "Marijuana...the new growth industry". Posters have done a fine job avoiding politics in the discussion...but the question of how to legalize it must necessarily involve politics.

This subject has been the proverbial "third rail" of politics...no one's willing to touch it. So...the question arises: How to accomplish the COMPLETE (not the "medical" subterfuge) legalization of this humble herb?

Estimates of the number of folks who enjoy a bit of "mezz", "ganja", "left-wing Luckies" vary...but most peg the number at 60-75 million people. I'm thinking it's probably closer to 100 million, but, either way, that's a LOT of people.

NORML & others have campaigned for a long time with little effect. Right now, it looks like California (who else!) is leading the way. But...state by state isn't the way. It has to be a national effort.

What will it take? A million (or more) person "smoke-in" on The Mall in D.C.?
The President firing one up on national TV?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
Quote:
Over on AK a spirited, well-thought-out discussion has been going on regarding "Marijuana...the new growth industry". Posters have done a fine job avoiding politics in the discussion...but the question of how to legalize it must necessarily involve politics.

This subject has been the proverbial "third rail" of politics...no one's willing to touch it. So...the question arises: How to accomplish the COMPLETE (not the "medical" subterfuge) legalization of this humble herb?

Estimates of the number of folks who enjoy a bit of "mezz", "ganja", "left-wing Luckies" vary...but most peg the number at 60-75 million people. I'm thinking it's probably closer to 100 million, but, either way, that's a LOT of people.
I'd guess it's more like 50 million, depends what group you hang with I guess.

Quote:
NORML & others have campaigned for a long time with little effect. Right now, it looks like California (who else!) is leading the way. But...state by state isn't the way. It has to be a national effort.

It won't be legalized. What is the upside "politically" for a politician?
There is none.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post

If California legalized pot by referendum, and a court overturned it, I wonder how many right-wingers would argue that the court usurped the will of the people.

BTW, welcome over Electron John.

Some threads over here have addressed legalization in the context of the immigration discussion. The theory is that the portion of the across-the-border traffic that involves the sale of pot would be neutralized by not needing an illicit source for the herb.

I would probably be an occasional user if it were legalized, but I'm no longer willing to break the law simply for recreational purposes. (There might be other areas where the cause would be worth civil disobedience.) I would, however, be receptive to legislation to legalize pot, subject to quality controls, education and the availability of counseling for those who might be dependent on it. I understand that it is not physically addictive, but that it is easy to develop a psychological dependence on the buzz.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
There is none.
I dunno. There might be enough politically conservative stoners who would be peeled away from the GOP to make it a calculated risk for the Dems. I think the Dems' natural constituency would be pretty tolerant of legalization anyway.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
There is none.
Generation of tax revenue, taking the market away from criminals. Just off the top of my head.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Taxes & cutting the legs out from under the criminal element were major points expressed over on AK in favor of legalization. That...plus diverting police resources from chasing down tokers to more important pursuits.

"Sin" taxes have long been a favorite of politicians...so what's new here?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The whole "reefer madness" thing is deeply inculcated in the body politic, not to mention large parts of the electorate. I think it will be a long time before true legalization comes to pass in favor of a little wink and a nod/medical marijuana subterfuge.

The political class would have to declare defeat in "The War on Drugs." I can't imagine there are too many willing to step down from their "tough on crime, just say no" stance. Tough guy talk gets you elected, nuanced thinking leads to defeat at the hands of the demagogue.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Isn't this thing in CA looking like it's going to pass? I don't know, hard to argue against "will of the people" and all. And I'm not a pot smoker. I just think it's silly to make it illegal. But then I'd legalize all of it and shut the gangs down by tomorrow morning.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

The political class would have to declare defeat in "The War on Drugs." I can't imagine there are too many willing to step down from their "tough on crime, just say no" stance. Tough guy talk gets you elected, nuanced thinking leads to defeat at the hands of the demagogue.
well stated
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I dunno. There might be enough politically conservative stoners who would be peeled away from the GOP to make it a calculated risk for the Dems.
I think they call those folks Libertarians.

Quote:
I think the Dems' natural constituency would be pretty tolerant of legalization anyway.
You'd think so but the Marijuana initiative here is losing in the polls. It's close. 48% oppose and 44% in favor as of a July 5th Field Poll. Hopefully, it'll pass and that a lot of those folks saying they're opposed are saying so because they're a little bashful about admitting they're tokers.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 08-17-2010 at 06:26 PM.