Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:41 AM

I Left Out the Full Truth to Get My Climate Change Paper Published

https://www.thefp.com/p/i-overhyped-...-get-published

This matters because it is critically important for scientists to be published in high-profile journals; in many ways, they are the gatekeepers for career success in academia. And the editors of these journals have made it abundantly clear, both by what they publish and what they reject, that they want climate papers that support certain preapproved narratives—even when those narratives come at the expense of broader knowledge for society.

To put it bluntly, climate science has become less about understanding the complexities of the world and more about serving as a kind of Cassandra, urgently warning the public about the dangers of climate change. However understandable this instinct may be, it distorts a great deal of climate science research, misinforms the public, and most importantly, makes practical solutions more difficult to achieve.

Like so much else in the print and broadcast media, the public gets "pre-approved narratives" for news. The days of simply "just provide the facts and let the readers decide" are long gone. This is a great example of how "fake news" propagates.

And before y'all start with the "whataboutism", this stuff happens in left and right media sources.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
‘We’re Bankrupt’: Leaked Meeting Reveals Project Veritas On Verge of Collapse
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/we...e-of-collapse/

Gosh, Whell, there goes yet another of your “news” sources. : rolleyes:
Of course, you selected a "news" source of your own, Mediaite, a noted left-leaning media source.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:01 PM
Admin

There you go again, Mike. (rolls eyes)
Old 09-10-2023, 12:24 PM
Admin

Funny thing is Mike - you've lost most every debate you've engaged in here on Political Chat and lost them badly. If you were more mature or simply a better man you'd take your licking and come up with better arguments but you've decided to turn into a garden variety internet troll.

You've insulted most every member of this small forum and you whine like a small boy when you get your ass handed to you. Don't you feel any embarrassment at all?
Old 09-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Of course, you selected a "news" source of your own, Mediaite, a noted left-leaning media source.
Project Veritas and O'Keefe's troubles have been covered in all manner of news outlets. Is the Associated Press reliable enough for you?
https://apnews.com/article/james-oke...9c0e33a4968fc9

Or if you only trust wingnut sources, how about the Washington Times?
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...der-investiga/

You go from defending the Cheeto Benito to defending the scumbag O'Keefe? LOL.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Funny thing is Mike - you've lost most every debate you've engaged in here on Political Chat and lost them badly. If you were more mature or simply a better man you'd take your licking and come up with better arguments but you've decided to turn into a garden variety internet troll.

You've insulted most every member of this small forum and you whine like a small boy when you get your ass handed to you. Don't you feel any embarrassment at all?
Well, then I'll meet your expectations with this post.

Your post above is as much of a lie as Finn's post that follows it. The only way you and yours declare victory as you do above is to engage in the kind of intellectually dishonest crap that Finn does. I certainly did not "defend" O'Keefe as Finn claims. My remark with limited to a critique of Mediaite as the source of a post.

There's no question that Project Vertias has some financial issues. But Mediate is not known for unbiased coverage.

So, if you and yours feel good about mis-stating my posts to you can "win" an argument, that says far more about you and yours than it does about me.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:20 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

FAKE NEWS EXPOSED: A Service of PoliticalChat.com

Quote:
Well, then I'll meet your expectations with this post.

Your post above is as much of a lie as Finn's post that follows it. The only way you and yours declare victory as you do above is to engage in the kind of intellectually dishonest crap that Finn does. I certainly did not "defend" O'Keefe as Finn claims. My remark with limited to a critique of Mediaite as the source of a post.

There's no question that Project Vertias has some financial issues. But Mediate is not known for unbiased coverage.
The truth is that this story is about far more than Project Veritas having financial issues. This is typical of your defense of MAGA miscreants of all stripes. You criticize the source and then deliberately mischaracterize the story and/or its underlying facts. And then you whine about being called out for it.

Every. Single. Time.

Oh, and O'Keefe is indeed a liar, grifter and a fraud like all MAGA personalities. Indeed, the entire MAGA movement is a criminal enterprise. You'll eventually learn this. Maybe (you're really slow on the uptake).

Last edited by finnbow; 09-10-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:

This matters because it is critically important for scientists to be published in high-profile journals; in many ways, they are the gatekeepers for career success in academia. And the editors of these journals have made it abundantly clear, both by what they publish and what they reject, that they want climate papers that support certain preapproved narratives—even when those narratives come at the expense of broader knowledge for society.

To put it bluntly, climate science has become less about understanding the complexities of the world and more about serving as a kind of Cassandra, urgently warning the public about the dangers of climate change. However understandable this instinct may be, it distorts a great deal of climate science research, misinforms the public, and most importantly, makes practical solutions more difficult to achieve.

Like so much else in the print and broadcast media, the public gets "pre-approved narratives" for news. The days of simply "just provide the facts and let the readers decide" are long gone. This is a great example of how "fake news" propagates.

And before y'all start with the "whataboutism", this stuff happens in left and right media sources.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scientist.html

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/31/...int-diversity/

Last edited by Mark B; 09-10-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

FAKE NEWS EXPOSED: A Service of PoliticalChat.com

Quote:

His article stated that he believed that climate change was a indeed a significant factor in increased wildfires, but that somehow he was compelled, due to unwritten academic pressures, to deemphasize other factors in a paper written with 6 other authors. Uh, OK. What are the views of his 6 co-authors? Squabbles in academia over what gets published in journals are as old as academia itself. His article proves exactly nothing new about the publish-or-perish ethos in academia (except maybe his own paranoia and sense of victimhood so prevalent in MAGAWorld).

Meanwhile, Sen. Ron Johnson and Tucker Carlson go on TV and say that windmills kill whales.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/us/wh...ate/index.html

Last edited by finnbow; 09-10-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:46 PM

In the near future one side will be vilified for their selfish callous disregard for the only habitual planet known. Thinking only of their comforts, ignoring making fun of the facts. Debating, arguing seemingly rather continue being wrong thought a fool, then to admit their mistake in judgment.

The other will be rightfully placing the blame on them. Will there be pitchforks and torches at their or descendants door? More then likely some form of retribution will be metered out on them.

BTW the mass migration to the poles I fear has already begun. The rise in people moving from the equator to more habitable zones.

Last edited by Oerets; 09-10-2023 at 04:49 PM.