Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:42 AM

Appeals Court Rejects Request to Immediately Restore Travel Ban

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/0...m.facebook.com

Checks and balances at work. Hopefully, with most of the country paying attention, the country will actually learn something about civil procedure.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN124308 View Post
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/0...m.facebook.com

Checks and balances at work. Hopefully, with most of the country paying attention, the country will actually learn something about civil procedure.
You are an optimist sir. I expect that it will be Kellyanne's mission to see that the public gets as distorted view of the process as possible - the only thing happening is liberal judges obstructing the Dear Leader.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM

Haha, I expect that you are correct. But I'm forever an optimist, si here's to hoping!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Admin

Il Douche's latest tweet on this subject.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Just cannot believe a judge would put our country in such peril. If something happens blame him and court system. People pouring in. Bad!
12:39 PM - 5 Feb 2017
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Il Douche's latest tweet on this subject.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Just cannot believe a judge would put our country in such peril. If something happens blame him and court system. People pouring in. Bad!
12:39 PM - 5 Feb 2017
Notice the hate behind the phrase "people pouring in?"

Like immigrants are bad...like humans are bad. Trump is the reincarnation of those who hated the Irish coming here in the 1840s and those who feared the immigration wave from Italy and Southeastern Europe between the 1880s and 1920s. What an embarrassment.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:47 AM
Admin

"Silicon Valley is stepping up its confrontation with the Trump administration.
On Sunday night, Google, Facebook, Uber, Twitter, Netflix and other prominent tech companies filed a legal brief opposing the administration’s contentious entry ban, according to people familiar with the matter.
The amicus brief was filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, which is expected to rule within a few days on an appeal by the administration after a federal judge in Seattle issued late Friday a temporary restraining order putting the entry ban on hold. The brief comes at the end of a week of nationwide protests against the plan — as well as a flurry of activity in Silicon Valley, a region that sees immigration as central to its identity as an innovation hub.
Companies backing the filing also include Lyft, Pinterest, Yelp, Square, Reddit, Kickstarter, Github, Glassdoor, Box, Mozilla, Dropbox, Twilio, Zynga, Medium, Pinterest, and Salesforce, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the filing was still being finalized Sunday." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a2e137819f54

The tech world is pushing back against Trump's ban on Muslims. Good.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"Silicon Valley is stepping up its confrontation with the Trump administration.
On Sunday night, Google, Facebook, Uber, Twitter, Netflix and other prominent tech companies filed a legal brief opposing the administration’s contentious entry ban, according to people familiar with the matter.
The amicus brief was filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, which is expected to rule within a few days on an appeal by the administration after a federal judge in Seattle issued late Friday a temporary restraining order putting the entry ban on hold. The brief comes at the end of a week of nationwide protests against the plan — as well as a flurry of activity in Silicon Valley, a region that sees immigration as central to its identity as an innovation hub.
Companies backing the filing also include Lyft, Pinterest, Yelp, Square, Reddit, Kickstarter, Github, Glassdoor, Box, Mozilla, Dropbox, Twilio, Zynga, Medium, Pinterest, and Salesforce, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the filing was still being finalized Sunday." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a2e137819f54

The tech world is pushing back against Trump's ban on Muslims. Good.
The tech world ought to thread carefully...they have a terrible H1-b visa record.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Notice the hate behind the phrase "people pouring in?"

Like immigrants are bad...like humans are bad. Trump is the reincarnation of those who hated the Irish coming here in the 1840s and those who feared the immigration wave from Italy and Southeastern Europe between the 1880s and 1920s. What an embarrassment.
When something happens, he will blame the court system. I expect Bannon will make sure something big enough happens on schedule. That will enable them to declare a national emergency, replacing the courts with military tribunals under martial law rules. Congress being supine, this will remove the last constitutional check on the power of the executive. Trump/Bannon's word will be law.

The alt-right always accused Obama of wanting to do the martial law thing. It was always their fantasy, it's what they would do in his place. Coming soon.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Jigsawed

There has always been push back when people "pour in". It is natural.

The "pouring in" of people from Poland, Baltics, Romanis, Bulgaria in a short span of time, recently destabilized England.

Brexit was a push back.

Last edited by Dondilion; 02-06-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
When something happens, he will blame the court system. I expect Bannon will make sure something big enough happens on schedule. That will enable them to declare a national emergency, replacing the courts with military tribunals under martial law rules. Congress being supine, this will remove the last constitutional check on the power of the executive. Trump/Bannon's word will be law.

The alt-right always accused Obama of wanting to do the martial law thing. It was always their fantasy, it's what they would do in his place. Coming soon.
I think that is their game plan. Not to do anything but blame the system...and make all the baggers happy that they have someone stickin' it to the system.
Hopefully you are wrong about the military tribunals. His disparagement of judicial review is very dangerous our system is not immune to attacks like that.