Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Admin

Trump's Shell Game

'Don’t get distracted by Trump’s ‘dead cats’' WP

"Donald Trump, we have long known, is a weapon of mass distraction. He detonates daily, or more often.
But now that he is president, the fallout is dangerous.
Just after noon on Tuesday, alarming news began to spread that the Trump administration was imposing a gag order on the agencies of the federal government. The Environmental Protection Agency, the Agriculture Department, the Interior Department and the Department of Health and Human Services all reported various new edicts restricting federal agencies’ use of social media, appearances in public events or contacts with the press or lawmakers. It was an authoritarian gesture that, in an ordinary time, would dominate the news.

But this is no ordinary time. As word of the gag orders spread, White House press secretary Sean Spicer came before the cameras and said publicly what Trump had already said privately the day before: that Trump believes millions of people voted illegally in the election.
“He continues to maintain that belief,” Spicer confirmed, “based on studies and evidence that people have presented to him.” But what, Spicer was asked, “does that mean for democracy?”
“It means that I’ve answered your question.”

Ka-boom. The president, through his spokesman, had just put himself at odds with leaders of his own party, Republican secretaries of state across the nation and virtually the entire store of human knowledge on the subject — and the social-media and cable news chatter quickly shifted.
Meanwhile, the sweeping gag orders muzzling the federal government quietly take effect...

...Distraction has long been Trump’s modus operandi. He dominated coverage during the primaries with outrageous pronouncements, thereby depriving his opponents of the media spotlight. When news coverage of his transition was particularly tough, he created a new narrative by attacking the cast of the musical “Hamilton.” It’s a constant use of the “dead cat” strategy: throw a dead cat on the table, and prior conversation on any other topic ceases.
But now Trump is president, and the stakes are higher. His fantastic claims about crowd size and voter fraud now divert Americans’ attention from serious and real changes in their government. We gape at dead cats, but the wolf is at the door." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.fe05e58a6d8b
Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 AM

Funny thing about people like Blob, if Trump improves the economy and helps everybody in the process they will hate him even more.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
Funny thing about people like Blob, if Trump improves the economy and helps everybody in the process they will hate him even more.
We all know who he will help - Wall Street - that is why the market topped 20k yesterday.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We all know who he will help - Wall Street - that is why the market topped 20k yesterday.
Are you in a loony asylum somewhere. The market doubled under Obama. The only people he helped were the very rich and perhaps the very poor. The middle class got screwed.

And, 2 % growth is nowhere near prosperous. The liberal policies by nature cannot lead to prosperity.

Yet you stick to them as we slowly go down the drain like raising a frog's water to a boil.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Are you in a loony asylum somewhere. The market doubled under Obama. The only people he helped were the very rich and perhaps the very poor. The middle class got screwed.

And, 2 % growth is nowhere near prosperous. The liberal policies by nature cannot lead to prosperity.

Yet you stick to them as we slowly go down the drain like raising a frog's water to a boil.
I'm not disputing you, but I do remind you this all started with "trickle down" that didn't trickle. Decidedly conservative policies.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:

The liberal policy is massive wealth redistribution, mainly through progressive income taxes,a high tax on business profits, and substantial governmental spending on infrastructure and social programs. This model led to the formation of the world's largest middle class ever seen, and a vigorous support system for the poor.

On the other hand, the conservative credo of lower taxes, minimal wealth redistribution, and unfettered capitalism has recently lead to the world's greatest wealth inequity via net income, and the lowering of our nation's credit rating.

Ayn Rand's rugged transformative individualism fails in actual practice across societal boundaries. Objectivism fails in every respect. Having served in the military, I learned that you are only as competent and capable as the least amongst you, so you had to make sure that weak link was pretty damn good. Capitalism is all about not caring for that weak link much, and the Republican facet is about ensuring there is a constant stream of weak links, and then taking full and complete advantage of those weak links.

Last edited by sheltiedave; 01-27-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
The liberal policy is massive wealth redistribution, mainly through progressive income taxes,a high tax on business profits, and substantial governmental spending on infrastructure and social programs. This model led to the formation of the world's largest middle class ever seen, and a vigorous support system for the poor.

On the other hand, the conservative credo of lower taxes, minimal wealth redistribution, and unfettered capitalism has recently lead to the world's greatest wealth inequity via net income, and the lowering of our nation's credit rating.

Sun Rand's rugged transformative individualism fails in actual practice across societal boundaries. Objectivism fails in every respect.
The Democratic presidents Clinton and Obama helped to send that model down the drain with their commitment to OWO (One World Order).

Now with Soros pulling the levers of the Democratic Party expect more of the same.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post

Sun Rand's rugged transformative individualism fails in actual practice across societal boundaries. Objectivism fails in every respect.
We just had 8 years of Obama, arguably the most liberal President ever.

And, he lost 1000 Democratic seats across government and 60% plus think the country is going in the wrong direction.

There is no other scenario in the cosmos that would have gotten Trump elected.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Let's turn this statement on its head. What would Trump have to do for his supporters to turn on him? One of the most concerning things to me is that Trump and his supporters will not admit that he ever does wrong. Whether you agree with Trump or not, it's silly to try and spin everything he does in a positive light. I don't think Obama supporters did that, en masse, the way Trump supporters have done so far.

Ultimately, if you spin everything as a positive than you lose credibility when something positive actually occurs.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Persona non grata

Another day, another 357 anti-Trump hatchet jobs by the media. This shit has gotten as boring as watching paint dry.

I've gotten to the point where about the only thing I'll believe that comes out of the media is maybe the final score of the super bowl. And even then I'm going to look for several sources for corroboration.