Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

A Chip Off the Old Block

DC's recently deceased Mayor-for-Life Marion Barry's son, Christopher, went out to show his chops during his ongoing campaign for City Councilman for Ward 8:

A man, whom police officials have identified as Barry, entered the PNC Bank branch in the 800 block of Seventh Street NW about noon and sought to make a cash withdrawal of $20,000. After the bank teller denied the withdrawal, Barry then requested $6,000. He was then told that his account was overdrawn by $2,000. At that point, Barry allegedly became outraged.

“You always give me a hard time,” he replied, according to the report. “I’m going to have someone waiting for you when you get off, you b----.” He then threw a trash can over the security glass, the report said, striking and destroying a surveillance camera while the incident was being recorded on other cameras....

Barry appeared in court with his ankles and wrists shackled. He was wearing a shirt with a large picture of his father on a postage stamp across his chest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...3f8_story.html

He'll probably still win the seat.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-21-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Just establishing his "street cred" to help his candidacy.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Just establishing his "street cred" to help his candidacy.
Like you're in a position to be lecturing anybody about their credibility.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

So...maybe you'll clarify exactly what you mean by this without acting all shocked and offended, eh?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
DC's recently deceased Mayor-for-Life Marion Barry's son, Christopher, went out to show his chops during his ongoing campaign for City Councilman for Ward 8:

A man, whom police officials have identified as Barry, entered the PNC Bank branch in the 800 block of Seventh Street NW about noon and sought to make a cash withdrawal of $20,000. After the bank teller denied the withdrawal, Barry then requested $6,000. He was then told that his account was overdrawn by $2,000. At that point, Barry allegedly became outraged.

“You always give me a hard time,” he replied, according to the report. “I’m going to have someone waiting for you when you get off, you b----.” He then threw a trash can over the security glass, the report said, striking and destroying a surveillance camera while the incident was being recorded on other cameras....

Barry appeared in court with his ankles and wrists shackled. He was wearing a shirt with a large picture of his father on a postage stamp across his chest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...3f8_story.html

Just put him behind bars, like what happened to that manacing politician from
Staten Island NY.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
So...maybe you'll clarify exactly what you mean by this without acting all shocked and offended, eh?
Seems to me it means "Aren't those people awful." A sentiment widely held, with varying values for 'those people.'
Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Seems to me it means "Aren't those people awful." A sentiment widely held, with varying values for 'those people.'
I have to tell ya that I pondered over this post for quite a while, how to word it, or even if I should post it at all...what with it having been suggested that I've dealt the "anti-Semite" card at the drop of a hat. But yep...it sure seemed like a stark indictment of those people, to me.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
If you have even the slightest clue about Marion Barry's history in this city or Christopher Barry's own criminal past, you'd need no further clarification. However, it goes something like this. MB gets convicted of crack cocaine possession while mayor, quit, served 6 months in prison and successfully runs for city council (also in Ward 8 where his son is doing the same thing).

Then as city council member (while still on probation), he tests positive for coke, gets convicted of tax evasion, gets caught driving drunk several times, fails to pay $2,800 in city traffic tickets, arrested for stalking, stripped of city council committee assignments for directing $8.4 million in contracts to a former girlfriend, and openly criticizing Asian Americans for establishing mom-n-pop shops in (under-served) Ward 8. Despite these transgressions, he never had a problem getting reelected in Ward 8 where he was considered a hero.

Now his son, who had six previous run-ins with the law including serving time for dealing PCP, has been charged with going ape-shit at a bank because the teller won't let him withdraw $20,000 from an overdrawn account. And yet his campaign for the council seat once occupied by his father continues, with a pretty good chance of success.

Why don't you provide me some long-distance psychoanalysis of why people continue to vote for such candidates.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-22-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Ready

Allow me to suggest one possible psychoanalysis: they voted for him for the same reason the kid in Good Will Hunting said he picked the wrench. Because fuck-you, that's why.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Resident octogenarian

Or for the same reason that 95% of our do nothing Congress was re-elected