Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Jeez I hope we don't see that Rob! Scary.

John I think neither. I just don't think we can do it and the only example of Kyoto bears it out. If the time lag guys are right, which I think makes sense if the 97% are correct, we should probably start building dykes and levies.

Pete
Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Jeez I hope we don't see that Rob! Scary.

John I think neither. I just don't think we can do it and the only example of Kyoto bears it out. If the time lag guys are right, which I think makes sense if the 97% are correct, we should probably start building dykes and levies.

Pete

Sounds obscenely expensive and looking at Katrina and Sandy, ultimately doomed to fail.

What you're seeing with all the obfuscation is a concerted effort by those who stand to gain from the continued burning of fossil fuels such as coal and petroleum. Follow the money Pete.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 PM

Hey Folks,
I hope you are all doing well. I come and go and I feel I barely have the right to post here. I came back to PChat this morning for this very reason. To share and ask about global warming. I have a younger brother who lives with me. He is 41 years old. I love him dearly but he is hard to live with sometimes. Chronically depressed. His depression is based on what he believes has happened to our environment. According to him and his information, we have about 2-5 years before all life on our planet will cease to exist. Also, there is no way to correct it, it is too late. Pretty grim for sure.

I decided to get off the wagon and find out for myself about global warming. I am no expert, but I can read. What I have found so far is that CO2 in our environment has increased by approximately 125ppm since the beginning of the industrial revolution. It was at about 275 and is now at 400ppm. It is also clear that the CO2 is a byproduct of man, either in food production, automobiles, or the production of energy. The three biggest producers are cows, cars, and concrete.

I researched further and found that the C02 is heated by infrared light and thus hold the energy in our atmosphere. So how can a .01% increase in CO2(an increase in the density of our atmosphere if I understand correctly) have such a dramatic affect on our planet. It seems small, but if you look at how much energy our sun puts out, and how much more energy is being captured in comparison, it seems to make sense.

This much I have been able to conclude for myself. After this, the models and speculation start. What will the affect be of a 1,2,3,4, etc degree change in our atmosphere. According to my brother, at 3 degrees most of life will end.

He gets his information for three sources primarily. One is 350.org, a person named Guy McPherson, and the other is IPCC.gov(International panel for climate control). I have checked and find them to be at very least well meaning, and more likely fairly accurate. The primary reason for my brothers dread comes from two theories on global warming. The first is the positive feedback loops. Once we passed 350ppm of CO2, the oceans have reached a point they cannot absorb more and further, they will start outgassing co2, we will have to remove CO2 to stabilize the climate and that is not possible. Secondly, and this scares me more, the ph of the ocean is dropping due to the extra CO2. Being an avid aquarium fish lover for almost my entire life, I KNOW what this means. It ain't good.

So, to get to the point. Does anyone know of, have access to, or can point me in a direction to get some scientific papers on the subject. I can find plenty of social media on my own.

For the record, my brother is highly intelligent, a formally scored IQ of 146. He also tries to be diligent in the pursuit of facts and truth. However, I do believe he is mentally ill as well.

Can anyone help me find the facts!!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Admin

Hiya Mark. Good to see you posting again. You're welcome around here anytime.

Some of the threads have lightly touched on this subject and I'll see what I can find for ya in the meantime. You're brother is probably wrong about any extinction level event happening anytime soon but his concerns aren't misplaced in my opinion.

Gotta go suss out why my '03 Ranger decided to die on the way home. Probably the emergency fuel shut off switch tripped after I had to lock it up to keep from hitting some asshole who pulled out in front of me.
Man, I love AAA.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 PM

Bobabode,
I'll post info as I find it too.

mark
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Bobabode,
I'll post info as I find it too.

mark
Right on!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Climate models vs reality here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDErDwXqhc

Though I wonder what he means at the end. The 'illuminati'? Regardless of his personal opinions there are well sourced facts. Theory checked by actual measureable facts anyone? What do they call that again?

The climate models are observably seriously flawed. Using them to spend trillions is, um, foolish?

Consider too that weather on all of the planets is observably changing. Why all at once?

Global warming. I have a hard time believing humans aren't having an impact on the planet. According to the boffins life has caused planetwide changes in the past, even mass extinctions as a direct result, and humans are definitely changing things. However, it doesn't mean the current crop of people - many with a stake in their argument beyond the actual climate - are correct. We know very very little in the grand scheme of things but it is human nature to act on the assumption that we do.

It is also human nature for people in control to encourage arguments that benefit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
What you're seeing with all the obfuscation is a concerted effort by those who stand to gain from the continued burning of fossil fuels such as coal and petroleum. Follow the money Pete.
We agree on that being important but disagree on who or why

Pete
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Global warming. I have a hard time believing humans aren't having an impact on the planet. According to the boffins life has caused planetwide changes in the past, even mass extinctions as a direct result, and humans are definitely changing things.
No, previous mass extinctions weren't caused by "life". There were 5 and all were caused by things like asteroid impacts or periods if intense vulcanism. Dinosaurs weren't wiped out by their own farts.

John
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ah so correct calling out. Not extinctions (with some possible exceptions) but vast climate change. The oxygenation event and the Younger Dryas event, though I saw a doc that said some believe the oxygenation event killed a lot of life that was not able to deal with oxygen. That doc's from memory, so grains of salt

Pete
Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

For Rob, the magnetic north pole is on the move:

Pete