in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Do you own firearms?
No, and don't plan to 5 29.41%
No, but I'm considering it 1 5.88%
Yes, I own firearms, less than 10 8 47.06%
Yes, I could nearly start my own army 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2009, 04:17 PM

I have a loaded gun in every room of the house. The one by the bed is a sawed off double barrel Stevens 300. One side has #6, the other a slug. My philosophy on guns is, I'd rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nowhere does the second say that every law abiding citizen has the right ......

The NRA only cares about the profits made from gun sales and rallies the support of gun enthusiasts in any manner they can to this end.
If you read various things written by the Founding Fathers, it is apparent how they felt on this matter. And there wasn't any national regulation until the machine gun ban in app 1936. Before that, you could buy a Thompson, sawed off shotgun, cannon, explosives, whatever your heart desired. Which sets a certain amount of precedence. About 160 years worth.

So, for app 160 years, everyone took the right to own a firearm as a constitutional right. Now, they didn't want you to sell them to the Indians, at least the hostiles, or to carry them while you were drunk in places like Dodge City, but this was pretty much localized. They even passed a law against concealed carry here in Missouri, somehow thinking that the James's and Younger's would abide by it. Or maybe, they would have the grounds to arrest them. Or perhaps people like them. But it was, and still is, legal to carry an iron on your hip in the Jackass State if you so desire. As long as it isn't concealed, or you have a permit to do so.

When Frank James surrendered, he walked into the State Capitol armed, and personally handed his weapon to the Missouri Governor. The debate wasn't about the 2nd Amendment at this time.

And by the way, the "National Republican Associatian" does not make a profit from the sale of firearms. Their only interest is in supporting the 2nd Amendment...they endorse Republicans and Democrats alike, based on this criteria only. While they do hold fundraisers, they are supported by their membership only. I believe they still sell surplus firearms that they receive from the DCM, a throwback to the days when the Government felt is was in their best interest to have the population already trained in the use of firearms before they were inducted into the military. They still hold training for the police, and I believe the military, and pony up something like 10K for the survivors of a policeman killed in the line of duty...no questions asked.

Have you ever seen the photograph of the poor Jew holding a small suitcase, followed by an endless line of Jews, sitting on the edge of a pit full of bodies, with a Nazi Officer holding a handgun to the back of his head, preparing to shoot him, along with the rest of the Jews, and push their cadavers into the pit? If it can happen there, it can happen here.

Believe it or not, the NRA, and their members, are your friend.

Chas
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Amen Brother, Amen. The second amendment makes all the others possible.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I have a loaded gun in every room of the house. The one by the bed is a sawed off double barrel Stevens 300. One side has #6, the other a slug. My philosophy on guns is, I'd rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.
Well, I'm not too much into having a bunch of loaded guns lying around anymore.

About all I keep stuffed is a Chief's Special and a GP100 in the bedroom, and a Buckmark and a "Wonder Nine" in my desk drawer, and my crummy H&K 91 knockoff with a 20 rnd mag in the closet. Sometimes I've a 30 round mag in the MAK, but not generally.

I'm not crazy like some of you gun nuts.

Chas
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Do I NEED 125-150 guns ? No. Do I NEED a fully-automatic Uzi ? Again, no. But it sure is fun, & I have enjoyed it immensely over the 22 years or so I've had it, as have a lot of other people.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Do I NEED 125-150 guns ? No. Do I NEED a fully-automatic Uzi ? Again, no. But it sure is fun, & I have enjoyed it immensely over the 22 years or so I've had it, as have a lot of other people.
Always admired a man who doesn't know how many guns he owns.

Chas

PS: How's your guns doing compared to your 401K?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 PM

It is sort of a pita whenever we have company because I have to go around and unload them. Of course, I don't get much company.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
It is sort of a pita whenever we have company because I have to go around and unload them. Of course, I don't get much company.
I hear ya, brother, they all think I'm nuts.

But whenever there's a problem, from a backed up toilet, car won't start, computer's screwed up, to a weirdo hanging around...guess who they call.

Chas
Old 07-24-2009, 05:57 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I hear ya, brother, they all think I'm nuts.

But whenever there's a problem, from a backed up toilet, car won't start, computer's screwed up, to a weirdo hanging around...guess who they call.

Chas
Exactly.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Whaddya want, Rob ? Bet I could put you in somethin' pretty cheap...

The funny thing is that I would rather have a tazer but they are illegal for private ownership, guess they would rather have me kill an intruder.

I was looking at maybe a .38 or even a .22 long rifle automatic that lookes like a .45 - $500. It needs to be something that would not knock my wife on her fanny if she needs to use it.

It has gotten to be an outdoor sport around these parts to break in on older people and rough them up.

BTW if you were to read Madison's Notes on the Philadelphia Convention you might conclude that "A well regulated militia" was in reference to the fact that because they did not want a standing army, the federal government was to take over the militias. The states did not really want this, but the problem was that they all used different arms and in a time of need they might find that they had the wrong size shot, etc.

This sort of became moot after 1812 when Madison foolishly got involved in a war he need not have and it was an Irish regiment that burned the White House. I used to pass the historic house in Brookevville, MD where Madison brought the government during that event, on my daily commute. That was when they discovered that a militia was no match for regulars.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-24-2009 at 07:26 AM.