Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Hey Finn- remember Sageworth and Drums? Redding Gaol was the last place I saw them play. Walter Egan went on to play with Lindsey Buckingham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iw5NSO85sU
Hmmm, I don't remember them, but I went to the Redding Gaol a number times, usually followed by late night munching at nearby Luigi's.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Listening to some 60 year old jazz, "The Quintet" from Massey Hall, featuring "Charlie Chan", a.k.a. Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Max Roach and Charles Mingus.

John
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Hmmm, I don't remember them, but I went to the Redding Gaol a number times, usually followed by late night munching at nearby Luigi's.
Walter did "Magnet & Steel", great guitarist.
Sageworth & Drums did a good cover of Traffic's "Here's a Little Song You Can All Join In With", that always had the crowd up and dancin'. They lived in one of those old victorians in Georgetown, all painted up San Francisco style.

On a different note, I saw Little Feat at the Emergency in downtown. An old converted movie theater, IIRC. DC was a happening town back in the '70s! I still miss that area but not the weather, too freakin' cold in the winter for a California boy.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Admin

Just finished up Feats Don't Fail Me Now by Little Feat. Next up Blind Faith!

I'm recording the 121212 benefit concert. I did catch some of the Who, those guys still have it together. Nice tribute to Keith Moon.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Walter did "Magnet & Steel", great guitarist.
Sageworth & Drums did a good cover of Traffic's "Here's a Little Song You Can All Join In With", that always had the crowd up and dancin'. They lived in one of those old victorians in Georgetown, all painted up San Francisco style.

On a different note, I saw Little Feat at the Emergency in downtown. An old converted movie theater, IIRC. DC was a happening town back in the '70s! I still miss that area but not the weather, too freakin' cold in the winter for a California boy.
I think Little Feat really loved that area. They played there a lot. "Waiting for Columbus" was recorded live at Lisner and one of their best studio albums, "Feats Don't Fail Me Now", was recorded at Blue Seas Studio in Baltimore. Bill Payne said that the time the band spent in Baltimore was the most fun he'd ever had.

I heard Lowell George being interviewed once and he told the interviewer that he had been born in the Baltimore suburb of Catonsville (which he mispronounced). In fact, he was born in LA, 5 days after me. George's daughter Inara's middle name is Maryland.

John
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Little Feat has been one of my favorite bands for the past 40 years. Sailin' Shoes and Dixie Chicken are probably the two albums I played more than any other during my middle couple of years in college. I still play them frequently.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Little Feat has been one of my favorite bands for the past 40 years. Sailin' Shoes and Dixie Chicken are probably the two albums I played more than any other during my middle couple of years in college. I still play them frequently.
You're alright, Pat-even if we disagree about unions.

Fill that Bambi tag, yet?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think Little Feat really loved that area. They played there a lot. "Waiting for Columbus" was recorded live at Lisner and one of their best studio albums, "Feats Don't Fail Me Now", was recorded at Blue Seas Studio in Baltimore. Bill Payne said that the time the band spent in Baltimore was the most fun he'd ever had.

I heard Lowell George being interviewed once and he told the interviewer that he had been born in the Baltimore suburb of Catonsville (which he mispronounced). In fact, he was born in LA, 5 days after me. George's daughter Inara's middle name is Maryland.

John
Shortly after the album,"Thanks I'll Eat It Here" came out my sister Sandy gave me a complete set of Little Feat vinyl and the promo poster. She worked at Warner/Electra/Asylum Records for many years. I've worn out most of the vinyl but still have that framed poster. Caytonsville is how I've heard it pronounced. Fells Point was an interesting place to go barhopping before it was gentrified...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lowell george.jpg (39.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Caytonsville is how I've heard it pronounced.
Yes, "Kate-ons-ville" is correct. Lowell George pronounced it "Cat-ons-ville".

Quote:
Fells Point was an interesting place to go barhopping before it was gentrified...
Yeah, it was great! I used to tend bar at No Fish Today up on Eutaw Street. (No Fish Today was the bar where the Berrigan brothers hatched the plot to raid the Catonsville - there it is again - draft board.) We worked at The Fish but we partied in Fells Point. Our favorites were The Horse You Came In On and Betha Bartholomew's.

Great times!

I found this old article from Baltimore Magazine about the history of the Blue Seas recording studio. Sad but very cool.

John
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
You're alright, Pat-even if we disagree about unions.

Fill that Bambi tag, yet?
I got a chunky 6-point with my bow last month. I could shoot another, but now that the boys are out of the house, the bagging, dragging, skinning, butchering and wrapping by myself are a bit much. My wife says she's willing to help, but in truth, she'd just get in the way.

Fells Point is still pretty cool. It's still not overly gentrified and has enough seediness to still be somewhat appealing. The Cats Eye Pub is a fun place for live music and Max's on Broadway has an absolutely stupendous beer list.