Old 02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I hope you've already made appropriate plans to "pimp your ride."
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
Gotta go pick up mom at prison?

BTW I have a bolt on wing I'll sell you cheap.
Rotflmao!!! After the neon ground effects and coffee can muffler I've planned 13 subwoofers with 1 tweeter. Great quality sound is important too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
My uncle had one of those, his was an 86, 87, or 88 model, can't recall right now, but he spent something like $200 on it for repairs over 100K+ miles, needless to say, he was pleased.
Truth! I've owned 3 box Grand Marquis and two went over 200K without batting a - tranny? (the 3rd I didn't like). MUCH more reliable than my current 97 Grand Marquis. Bulletproof and comfortable. Looking over the hood's like a Rolls. I'm really looking forward to it.

Pete
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM

I've always driven small cars, but will admit I like Lincolns and large Fords. Hope it works out well. Looks like a beauty.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That stinks. What's wrong with it?

Pete
Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
That stinks. What's wrong with it?

Pete
Well, if I'm lucky, there is a coolant hose leaking. If I'm not, who knows. But it leaves puddles of coolant when I park it. I wouldn't be worried, but it does something odd. If I fill the overflow, it leaves a big puddle next time I park. If I don't fill it for a couple of days, it doesn't over heat or anything and stops leaving puddles. Hummmmm. Can't explain that. Don't know of any leak that stops leaking in a pressurized system like that. Worries me a bit. I put an engine in this car a couple of years ago. Actually, I had a broken wrist at the time and paid a kid to do it. I helped. Runs like new. Hope it's nothing serious.

Thing is, I couldn't mess with it at all. The '72 Capri project has the garage tied up and I don't like to do any real work in the street.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Area Man

Still see a lot of those old boats around. Built to last, apparently.

Good luck with her, Pete.

P.s.
Looks like you and I both are gonna be hatin' it if gas hits four bucks a gallon again. Eh, Pete?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Well, if I'm lucky, there is a coolant hose leaking. If I'm not, who knows. But it leaves puddles of coolant when I park it. I wouldn't be worried, but it does something odd. If I fill the overflow, it leaves a big puddle next time I park. If I don't fill it for a couple of days, it doesn't over heat or anything and stops leaving puddles. Hummmmm. Can't explain that. Don't know of any leak that stops leaking in a pressurized system like that. Worries me a bit. I put an engine in this car a couple of years ago. Actually, I had a broken wrist at the time and paid a kid to do it. I helped. Runs like new. Hope it's nothing serious.

Thing is, I couldn't mess with it at all. The '72 Capri project has the garage tied up and I don't like to do any real work in the street.
It sounds like you know what youre doing, but you sure that's not the overflow running the extra out because of expansion? One can hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Still see a lot of those old boats around. Built to last, apparently.

Good luck with her, Pete.

P.s.
Looks like you and I both are gonna be hatin' it if gas hits four bucks a gallon again. Eh, Pete?
You ain't kidding. During my search I kept bumping into Metros with 150k+ miles, for more than $1500.

Having owned one, it's a rip

Pete
Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you know what youre doing, but you sure that's not the overflow running the extra out because of expansion? One can hope...
Pretty sure it's not. It will empty the overflow. [/THREADJACK]
Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Got me Eddie. Hope it's something simple!

Pete
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Got me Eddie. Hope it's something simple!

Pete
[THREADJACK] Crap, looking around on the internet (where did this slow day come from? I've been non stop all week.) and found two very simple and very likely candidates. Could be the radiator cap, but seems a little unlikely. Put a new one on when we did the engine, so it's not really that old. But old enough it could be the problem.

Ah, but this is what I think it may be- the lines going to the overflow cap could have been reversed. The line going to the cooling system should be hooked to the side with the tube that goes down into the overflow. Wondering now if it's been like this since we did the engine and once a little coolant is belched out it works okay.

Here's the really ironic thing- I looked at that thing the other day and thought it was backwards. Didn't think it made any difference. So I switched it. Could be they'll call and say "can't find anything wrong with it." Wouldn't that be nice for a change. Damn, wish I could remember if I filled the damn thing when I did that or if I said "screw it, it's going to the shop in a couple of days". [/THREADJACK]

(edit) Good news and bad news. It's not a head gasket or anything. It's a water pump and a hose (thought there was a hose leaking, but had a feeling it was more). Bad news is, this damn MR2 has the engine smack dab in the middle of everything. Makes it a great autocross car, but you have to drop the engine on one side to put a waterpump in it. Going to cost $775 to fix it. Ouch. But I'm looking on the bright side and counting my blessings. Could have been a lot worse.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 02-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

As well as I remember those Lincolns-Being Ford's TOTL car & all, usually had pretty decent sound systems in them-at least for when they were new.