Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:13 PM

Bakery that refused to do cake for gay couple closes its doors

Quote:
Will Higgins, will.higgins@indystar.com 1:46 p.m. EST February 28, 2015
The 111 Cakery was still profitable, said co-owner Randy McGath, but McGath's 45-year-old wife, Trish, who did most of the baking, wanted more time to spend with the couple's four grandchildren. The business "was wearing her out," her husband said. She has been taking a break from working since Dec. 31, when the bakery went out of business, he said.
Link

So how come their website says:

Quote:
The cakery will have a retail store front offering cakes, cupcakes, pastries and coffee to local clientele. 111 has also generated interest with local restaurants to be their provider of high-end desserts and pastries. The Company will utilize social media to maximize exposure throughout the Indianapolis area and grow its referral network of happy clients.
Link
LOL!

Carl
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Admin

Good riddance to hypocrites.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:01 AM
Abby Normal

45 with 4 grandchildren!

Sounds very Palin.

I means, I am not judging or anything but it sounds like she/her kids were making babies before they were ready.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
45 with 4 grandchildren!

Sounds very Palin.

I means, I am not judging or anything but it sounds like she/her kids were making babies before they were ready.
Sounds very Indiana. I suppose we don't want to be too completely hard on Indiana, as up here in north Porter County it's almost The Castro of red state-dom. But the rest of Indiana? Feh. Four grandchildren by 45...it's teabag country.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 PM

I'm really not OK with this as the right outcome for an optional situation asking more of someone than they are willing to give. It isn't like they are picketing gay weddings after all, and that there are no other options. Making folks a symbol of 'something' for the sake of one's own cause isn't ethically defensible either way imo.
We are taking care not to put folks on the spot with our plans, friends or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 03-02-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Admin

I dunno Steve. I don't think the forces arrayed against the LGBT community deserve any quarter, whether it is a solitary baker who refuses to serve a gay couple on their wedding day or the Westboro church. They are pretty much the same cancer in my book.

My apologies in advance if I misread your post.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Banned

What power do the people have, whether the majority or a minority, other than voting with their feet and their dollars. It's as American as apple pie and madras shorts to boycott a business that is discriminating against a particular group (as well as polluting the air and water, or using their billions to skew the election process). Use your typical self-indulgent "My god is THE god.", excuse for refusing to serve gays, or women, or black folks, or Jews, or Muslims...and you're getting exactly what you deserve when people walk away from your product.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I dunno Steve. I don't think the forces arrayed against the LGBT community deserve any quarter, whether it is a solitary baker who refuses to serve a gay couple on their wedding day or the Westboro church. They are pretty much the same cancer in my book.

My apologies in advance if I misread your post.
You read it correctly, no offense taken.
I lean toward a live-and-let-live relationship with religious liberty and the 1st Amendment as the most civil approach. Generally, don't force me to follow religious beliefs under color of law and I won't challenge them if they pose no threat to my life, liberty, or persuit of happiness.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 03-02-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
What power do the people have, whether the majority or a minority, other than voting with their feet and their dollars. It's as American as apple pie and madras shorts to boycott a business that is discriminating against a particular group (as well as polluting the air and water, or using their billions to skew the election process). Use your typical self-indulgent "My god is THE god.", excuse for refusing to serve gays, or women, or black folks, or Jews, or Muslims...and you're getting exactly what you deserve when people walk away from your product.
Well said.

If you open your doors to the public then you should serve the public equally without prejudice. Those people need to develop their own little Waco World v2 and take Hobby whatever and the rest of their holier than thou crowd with them.

Carl
Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Let's be straight about this. They knew before they even opened their door for the first day of business that they were in a gay enclave. They cheerfully paid the lower rent that is part and parcel of being in a depressed market. They cheerfully sold as much of their tasty cakes as possible to gays. They became accepted members of the business community, and friends with some. But, suddenly, they had to refuse business because it violated their faith principles?

Guess they finally found them, after being missing for every day they previously had their business open.