Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
In other words, its impossible for you to have discussion with someone who doesn't think like you. That puts you squarely in snowflake territory.
Oh, yeah, that’s how to promote civility, lol. Look, you refuse to acknowledge basic scientific facts, starting threads with “research” papers on global warming funded by the Koch brothers. You haven’t a clue.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Oh, yeah, that’s how to promote civility, lol. Look, you refuse to acknowledge basic scientific facts, starting threads with “research” papers on global warming funded by the Koch brothers. You haven’t a clue.
So, because I believe that climate change is occurring but question whether or not mankind can do anything to vastly accelerate it or stop it, I don't, in your opinion, acknowledge "basic scientific facts"?

And because I repeat your statement that you refusing to engage in a discussion because of you (mostly incorrect) prior assumptions and prejudices, I'm the one not being civil?

Fascinating....
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
So, because I believe that climate change is occurring but question whether or not mankind can do anything to vastly accelerate it or stop it, I don't, in your opinion, acknowledge "basic scientific facts"?
Read the scientific consensus, bucko. It’s really not open for discussion. Like Steven Miller, you really aren’t worth the time trying to “debate”, as you simply stick to the party line, ignoring facts.

You repeatedly call out the NYT and WaPo, two of our greatest institutions for shedding light on the sleaze in government, and repeat nonsense from Fox “News” and Limblow as fact. You have no credibility here, which is why no one will engage seriously with you.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Read the scientific consensus, bucko.
News flash: "consensus" ain't science, bucko.

There's "consensus" that there was a "big bang" that started the universe as we know it. Yet, there are scientific questions that remain that are unexplained by the "big bang" theory. There are credible scientists who postulate different theories: everything from a universe made up of vibrating strings of 11 dimensions, to an idea that the big bang wasn't a static event and is continuing to occur.

Those scientists dissenting from the prevailing big bang theory aren't derided like those that question anthropomorphic global warming. Why? Probably because no one has determined the need to attach a political agenda to big bang theory....yet.

But none of this is relevant anyway. I'm still trying to understand your logic about how disagreement about climate change causes prevent you from having a discussion.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
When you spout ignorant crap like the above, don't be surprised when nobody takes you seriously, dude.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
What is "science" bucko? What is anything? Anything is an opinion. The stuff you christian conservative republicans call "facts" and "truth" all day long is opinion.

"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion." - Democritus.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
What is "science" bucko? What is anything? Anything is an opinion. The stuff you christian conservative republicans call "facts" and "truth" all day long is opinion.

"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion." - Democritus.
Well, I'm glad then that we can at least agree that the "consensus" on global warming is an opinion, and doesn't rise to the level of "basic scientific facts" that you imbued on it in an earlier post.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
When you spout ignorant crap like the above, don't be surprised when nobody takes you seriously, dude.
If you have something intelligent to contribute, by all means do so. Otherwise, I'll put this comment in the same low level bucket as Chick's description of "opinion".

http://physicstoday.scitation.org/do...T.5.8071/full/
Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Ten days after Koonin wrote this, Jeffrey Kluger in Time [11] called Koonin's piece disingenuous if not dishonest. Koonin simply used the old debating trick of setting up a strawman to knock down by misconstruing what climate scientists mean when they say the climate debate is "settled." "...they mean that the fake debate over whether climate change is a vast hoax is finished," writes Kluger. He goes on to state that every point Koonin made is and has for years been widely acknowledged by climate scientists, very few of whom utilize the kind of overzealous language their critics commonly use.

You remind me of the dogmatic religious conservatives who doubted Copernicus and persecuted Galileo. You types just never learn, because you are blinded by beliefs.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
You remind me of the dogmatic religious conservatives who doubted Copernicus and persecuted Galileo. You types just never learn, because you are blinded by beliefs.
Interesting that you use that reference. Copernicus and Galileo opposed the "scientific consensus" of their day. The consensus of their day was rooted in religion. Your consensus is rooted in politics. Either way, the "science" behind that consensus is compromised. Its you and folks who think like you who are "blinded by beliefs".

The US accounts for only about 15% of the annual greenhouse gas emissions and falling, while China accounts for 25% and rising. Yet, the US is the target of the world's ire when it comes to climate change. So, why yell at "conservatives"? Why not go bitch at the Chinese?