Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Nope! It's basically a fancy word for "name". It also shows up in wine making where appellation is used to mean a legally defined area of production, like Medoc or Cote de Rhone.
I didn't know that.

When I buy wine I get whatever is on sale at the Grocery Store.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Heh, I resemble that remark...
Old 08-18-2015, 04:49 PM

Don't Worry America GOP Has Your Back

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ef=mostpopular
Old 08-20-2015, 01:35 AM

Earth To Jeb: You Are Supposed To Go 180 Degrees From T-Rump

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b055a6dab2e315

He might as well drop out. How can one be so stupid as to not learn from Mitt Romney.
Standing up against Trumpian xenophobia would help him next year.

I think we will just have to have a Democrat who has a pulse next year and it is in the bag.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

He might as well drop out. How can one be so stupid as to not learn from Mitt Romney.

I think we will just have to have a Democrat who has a pulse next year and it is in the bag.
He is talking about, pregnant mothers coming to the US to give birth just so their children now are eligible for US citizenship armed with a birth certificate. The US government has no idea of where they are live and how they are being brought up. Scary thought. He is conceding that it is a right unlike some of his compatriots. I have no problem with his stance. How this stacks against the constitution, I have no idea.

Quote:
Bush made similar remarks Tuesday, calling birthright citizenship a "constitutionally protected right," but adding that there should be a "targeted way" to "solve abuses, of people coming into the country so their children can become citizens."

Last edited by Rajoo; 08-20-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
He is talking about, pregnant mothers coming to the US to give birth just so their children now are eligible for US citizenship armed with a birth certificate. The US government has no idea of where they are live and how they are being brought up. Scary thought. He is conceding that it is a right unlike some of his compatriots. I have no problem with his stance. How this stacks against the constitution, I have no idea.
Trump is using the term to so as to disparage Latino immigrants when he talks about anchor babies, even if he does not say so. He is not aiming it at say wealthy Chinese who come to LA to have children. You may have a point but Bush's rather tepid and professorial qualification shows fear. He should come out and stand up strongly for the 14th amendment and immigration reform if he wants to win next year.

I would rather have the 14th Amendment protect the rights of citizenship than any other qualification, such as nationality of parents or skin color.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Trump is using the term to so as to disparage Latino immigrants when he talks about anchor babies, even if he does not say so. He is not aiming it at say wealthy Chinese who come to LA to have children. You may have a point but Bush's rather tepid and professorial qualification shows fear. He should come out and stand up strongly for the 14th amendment and immigration reform if he wants to win next year.

I would rather have the 14th Amendment protect the rights of citizenship than any other qualification, such as nationality of parents or skin color.
Thank you for seeing the point I was making and that my intent was to point out the inherent danger is allowing an avenue for unfettered anchor babies. I was also looking at regions other then Asia and what this could portend in the long term. Definitely not proposing a re-interpretation of the 14th which would not stand up anyway but laws to safeguard long term danger to the US.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:58 PM

My general point is that these ideas about changing the 14th amendment are really bullshit since it is impossible that one administration could even get this done. The talk about changing the 14th Amendment is just code for we do not want certain people coming to America. Trust me, the GOP does not care about wealthy Chinese having babies in LA just so they can get citizenship.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

No one is happier than I am to see Jeb Bush struggling at this point in his campaign. I endured eight years of him as Governor of Florida and I absolutely hate the fucker. That being said, don't count him out. For the Political donor class his brothers tenure as President was an absolute bonanza for them. They literally made trillions of dollars as civilian defense contractors, wall street bankers, and big pharma executives, etc. And as a result of his tax cuts, they were able to keep almost all of it.

These people are now flush with more cash than any no ordinary human can even imagine. That $100 million that they have put into his Super Pac is no more to them than when you or I chuck our spare change into the Salvation Army bucket at Christmas time. There's plenty more where that came from.

If this election can be bought, it will be bought for Jeb Bush.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Persona non grata

Wow!

So sooner than I had finished the above post and went back on the net, and what do I see?

http://news.yahoo.com/george-w-bush-...192119302.html

Quote:
Washington (AFP) - Jeb Bush might be his own man, but he showed Thursday he won't hesitate to enlist his brother George, the former president, in his own bid to win the White House in 2016.

George W. Bush wrote a fundraising email in support of his younger brother, who is locked in a tough race for the Republican nomination and is trailing bombastic frontrunner Donald Trump in poll after poll.

"I rarely send emails like this, but I wanted to make sure I asked for your support on behalf of my brother, Jeb," George W. Bush wrote in the first campaign message of its kind by the 43rd president.

"This is a consequential time in our nation's history, and we need a strong leader," he added
Translation:

"Remember all that money you made while I was President?

Time to pay some of it back."