Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It's difficult in mountainous areas. When I lived up on the Russian River I had two different cell phones, AT&T and Sprint. I could use AT&T from my house but I had to use Sprint at the end of my block and had to switch back and forth from one to the other as I traveled through the area.

John
The AT&T signal goes from five three dots at the end of our driveway and zero at the end of the block. When my brother's family visit us, they need to go to the end of our driveway to use their Verizon.

I don't quite buy the mountain theory. There used to be no AT&T coverage between Placerville and Echo Summit on the way to lake Tahoe via US-50. Now there is a strong signal almost the entire way.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I don't quite buy the mountain theory. There used to be no AT&T coverage between Placerville and Echo Summit on the way to lake Tahoe via US-50. Now there is a strong signal almost the entire way.
Cell signals are line of sight and are blocked quite effectively by geographic features. That's why that always look to site them on high ground.

When I lived on the Russian River, I was less than 1/2 a mile from a cell tower on the Korbel Champagne vineyard's property. I lived in a canyon. If I were on the side of the canyon closest to the tower, I couldn't get the signal. The canyon wall blocked it. If I went to the other side of the canyon I left the "shadow" of the canyon wall and could then get the signal.

I could also get the signal by going up to the second floor of my next door neighbor's house. His house was built higher up the canyon wall. The combination of 2-storey building and a starting point farther up the wall meant the signal was no longer blocked.

John
Old 01-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Cell signals are line of sight and are blocked quite effectively by geographic features. That's why that always look to site them on high ground.

When I lived on the Russian River, I was less than 1/2 a mile from a cell tower on the Korbel Champagne vineyard's property. I lived in a canyon. If I were on the side of the canyon closest to the tower, I couldn't get the signal. The canyon wall blocked it. If I went to the other side of the canyon I left the "shadow" of the canyon wall and could then get the signal.

I could also get the signal by going up to the second floor of my next door neighbor's house. His house was built higher up the canyon wall. The combination of 2-storey building and a starting point farther up the wall meant the signal was no longer blocked.

John
I tried their 'champagne' once and dumped the rest of the bottle.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I tried their 'champagne' once and dumped the rest of the bottle.
I remember once at a wedding I attended the champagne started with a decent import, can't remember which, but after everyone had had several glasses, they brought out the Korbel, thinking that by then nobody could tell the difference. They were wrong.

John