Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM
reflexionar

I feel pretty safe with no lights. Living at the end of a gravel cul-de-sac 12 miles northwest of a town of 1250 people, if we get burglarized I can pretty much figure it wasn't random. We have motion lights outside for our convenience. Animals are much more likely to trip them than a burglar.
I think we might need to invest in a couple motion nightlights though. When we lived in the Portland area,i f I wanted to go to the bathroom or get a glass of water in the middle of the night there was plenty of light filtering in from outside that I never had to turn a light on. Now that we are in central Oregon I am good for a couple trips or bruises if I get out of bed in the middle of the night. I suppose that could just be construed as another form of safety though.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Old 04-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Mutated Member

I am living is a small town with about 5600 people, but even here the light pollution is so immense that it never gets really dark at night anymore. It makes me sick.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I feel pretty safe with no lights. Living at the end of a gravel cul-de-sac 12 miles northwest of a town of 1250 people, if we get burglarized I can pretty much figure it wasn't random. We have motion lights outside for our convenience. Animals are much more likely to trip them than a burglar.
I think we might need to invest in a couple motion nightlights though. When we lived in the Portland area,i f I wanted to go to the bathroom or get a glass of water in the middle of the night there was plenty of light filtering in from outside that I never had to turn a light on. Now that we are in central Oregon I am good for a couple trips or bruises if I get out of bed in the middle of the night. I suppose that could just be construed as another form of safety though.

We used to live in the country.... Outside a small town.... Coyotes and jack rabbits the biggest problem.

Then one day two guys came to the door, postal whipped husband and stun gunned him. Killed our German Shepard and Dalmatian and robbed the house.

By the way.... The weapon we had safely stored was no deterrent.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I'm not certain republicans have the mental capacity to "plot" any more. I'm thinking they just bumble along these days....
That's a dangerous thought. While there's plenty of bumbling in evidence, there is still practically endless money and talent available for 'operations.' Remember who 'swift-boated' Kerry?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
We used to live in the country.... Outside a small town.... Coyotes and jack rabbits the biggest problem.

Then one day two guys came to the door, postal whipped husband and stun gunned him. Killed our German Shepard and Dalmatian and robbed the house.

Security is an issue for isolated places that are nonetheless in easy driving distance of population centers. Places out of even remote view to neighbors or traffic on the road in particular.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM
reflexionar

Quote:

Not saying it couldn't happen, just feel my odds are better here than when I lived in Portland. My sister has 100 acres up in NE Washington with a house pretty much right in the middle. They are also about 10 miles out of town. They got robbed a couple years ago. Nobody is 100% safe anywhere. Living in fear of it would be like living in fear of a lightning strike though. In Portland I actually worried about leaving my wife at home when I left for work at 4am.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Not saying it couldn't happen, just feel my odds are better here than when I lived in Portland. My sister has 100 acres up in NE Washington with a house pretty much right in the middle. They are also about 10 miles out of town. They got robbed a couple years ago. Nobody is 100% safe anywhere. Living in fear of it would be like living in fear of a lightning strike though. In Portland I actually worried about leaving my wife at home when I left for work at 4am.

I hear what you are saying and you are quite right.
No one is ever 100% safe.

I don't live in fear but am aware of my situation and surroundings.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:

What would have happened IF the weapon had been at hand?

Did either of the dogs alert you that strangers were coming?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 AM
reflexionar

I do have several neighbors in close proximity. I rely on them for safety more than my weapons.