Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsup1000 View Post
Humanism is the understanding that we are all alone on this planet in determining the moral and ethical standards for ourselves as humans, without so-called "divine guidance". In fact, humans have determined the factors that provide for a manner to live together in a ethical manner since the beginning of the species. Often, however, humans have also overlaid humanist findings with myth and superstition and called it "religion".
This is a very nice but a very intellectual point of view. The world is ruled by mass stupidity and smartphones, unable to be recepitve to humanist ideas, and this fact becomes worse and worse. In addition to that opinion I have to second Rob's comments. Unfortunately for me "religion" became almost a synonym for "paranoia" which is sad because the thoughts and teachings of Jesus, Boddhisatva Avalokiteshvara, Lao-tsu, Yuan Wu et al. were precious treasures of common sense before they got corrupted.

Humanism including things like empathy is the answer. But this answer is pure theory.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 11-20-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Grammar, Spelling, Sentence structure, all that shit, as usal...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Dave I absolutely agree the founders were men, not gods, and as such are fallible. However the system they created has turned out to be pretty darn successful at many things including equal protection under law, eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
.... The world is ruled by mass stupidity and smartphones ......
LOL! Best statement of the year.

Pete
Old 11-20-2014, 09:41 AM

All of us are victims of the culture of our day. Yes, our forebears thought it was correct to slaughter Native Americans and deprive them of their land. Why did the good people of Germany allow themselves to become a nation dedicated to war and genocide?
History must be read with an eye on the "culture" of the day. In spite of the flaws of the Constitution and the personal flaws of the members of the convention, it was at the time the most important humanist document regarding governing to that point, and perhaps right up to today.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Rational Anarchist

I'm not a victim, that's a POV.

My forest dwelling brother nailed it in # 24.

The Consitution and Bill of Rights were the political statement of the Enlightenment, fatal flaw notwithstanding.

Last edited by nailer; 11-20-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Dave I absolutely agree the founders were men, not gods, and as such are fallible. However the system they created has turned out to be pretty darn successful at many things including equal protection under law, eventually.

LOL! Best statement of the year.

Pete
All I'm saying is that he more I learn, the more it solidifies my belief that human nature hasn't changed a bit and the more it irritates me when people speak of long dead "leaders" as it they pooped gold. And it seems the longer they are in the grave the more God-like they become.....to some people.

Seriously. I want to slap these fools, Pete.

Dave
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Many of the "Founders" didn't really believe that "all men" were created as equal in the context that we do. They didn't see "Negroes" or women as "men". From all I've read, they apparently only saw themselves as being "men".

A few, such as Adams, saw it differently and were verbally assailed for it. He was one of the few that didn't own any "negro" slaves or servants.

This morning I read up on the building of D.C. and how, despite the fact that he thought the grandeur of the capital was a "fitting seat for government", he bemoaned realizing why "the Southerners" insisted that the capital be built in the south;

The massive use of slave labor and his suspicion that they were receiving kickbacks from construction contractors.

But, I am told we should return to the "honorable" and "Christian" ways of the Founders..........

LOL!

Dave
I am not LOL rather it is more like wanting to cry, especially as it could be so different then money is not called filthy lucre for nothing.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
All I'm saying is that he more I learn, the more it solidifies my belief that human nature hasn't changed a bit and the more it irritates me when people speak of long dead "leaders" as it they pooped gold. And it seems the longer they are in the grave the more God-like they become.....to some people.

Seriously. I want to slap these fools, Pete.

Dave
I've heard of that compared to the state religions of antiquity by a scholar a while back Dave, like the Romans and the Greeks, ours includes the Founders and a few more picked up on the way, Teddy, Lincoln, FDR and he included MLK as the most recent believing we intended to, for inclusiveness.

Pete
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Ready

It's interesting that we've built copies of classical temples for several of them on the Mall....
Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's interesting that we've built copies of classical temples for several of them on the Mall....

Dave
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 PM

I am reading a history of the "Middle Ages". I guess that I did not realize that the most common activity of man is CONSTANT WARFARE. There were very few instance of actual peace. Mostly the many tribes of what is now Modern Europe spent literally centuries warring against one another.