Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Area Man

An occasional bout of class warfare is a good and beautiful thing. Just like a little revolution every now and then is a good thing. It reminds the piggish among us to remain generous, or we'll drag out the guillotines and get busy. I don't just like it, I LOVE it. It's glorious and magnificent. Servility to the wealthy is dehumanizing.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Actually, he's probably paid others to do all of his thinking for him, he's certainly had the means, since the day he was born. I'm guessing he doesn't really know much about anything at all.
What relevance is that? A smart person will use the best resources available to bring about the intended result regardless of where that good idea originated. IIRC, Henry Ford made that point in a court case.

"Matters of elegance ought be left to the tailor and the cobbler."
L. Boltzman
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I'd say that "they have more than enough", "fair share", billionaires and millionaires", the whole contrived Buffet Tax meme sum to stirring up class envy and class warfare. That is, has been, and will be the primary tactic of the Obama campaign. Do you believe that raising those marginal rates will move Congress to get spending under control or just give impetus to spend more?
It is unquestionably a campaign tactic. However, the GOP led with its chin on this one and deserves to be popped. For example, their unanimous debate show-of-hands against accepting $10 in cuts for $1 in increased revenues shows a detachment from reality that needs to be highlighted.

That said, I'm four-square in favor of a complete overhaul of the tax code and not such tinkering around the edges.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Area Man

Quote:
What relevance is that? A smart person will use the best resources available to bring about the intended result regardless of where that good idea originated. IIRC, Henry Ford made that point in a court case.

"Matters of elegance ought be left to the tailor and the cobbler."
L. Boltzman
And, as cheaply as possible. And, if the "tailor and the cobbler" start expecting to actually live off of their skills, Mitt will lay them off and pay a communist to beat his people into doing it for 1/6 the rate. But, we can't blame them for that. Lord knows we all like a good deal. It's the Christian way.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Have a look around you. Just about all aspects of the living involves a struggle over scarce resources. I'd suggest the only thing that has tempered the ubiquity of boundless greed is that which the left rails against, namely, religion.
With all due respect, you're dreaming. Religion seemed to have induced little restraint on the titans of Wall St. over the past decade. To wit, our party of religion is at the same time our party of greed, it seems. For that matter, our party of life is also the party of capital punishment. Go figure.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
First of all, welcome Zman. Increasingly the top marginal tax rates 3-4% from what is now the lowest such rate in over 50 years is not government wanting to stifle success. It's government wanting to balance its books. It also has nothing to do with envy, class warfare, or any such other GOP talking point.
Thanks for the welcome..My thought came from seeing how tough folks in other countries have it , I watch allot of PBS I guess.
But with that said I am not aligned with any political party, I think they all have some good and bad points.
I just cant see how the fact he has a big house with an elevator and makes 10K bets makes him unfit for the presidency is all. presidents of the past have been wealthy and did a fine job, owed more to thier advisors and cabinets as much as the president.
And congress needs an overhaul to boot...both parties needs some new rules.
Lets start with lobbying limits.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Since when does the left rail against religion? Most liberals I know take their religion very seriously.
What the left rails against is the hypocrisy displayed by many right wing politicians as they justify the intrusion into the private decisions of others with religion as they try to pass legislation that serves their political needs.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Thanks for the welcome..My thought came from seeing how tough folks in other countries have it , I watch allot of PBS I guess.
But with that said I am not aligned with any political party, I think they all have some good and bad points.
I just cant see how the fact he has a big house with an elevator and makes 10K bets makes him unfit for the presidency is all. presidents of the past have been wealthy and did a fine job, owed more to thier advisors and cabinets as much as the president.
Lets start with lobbying limits.
My honest opinion, beyond all of my usual prodding and jabbing?

It's just politics, man. Ones wealth has nothing to do with ones ability to do the job, IMHO. To me, it is equally as ridiculous to vote for someone simply becasue he is rich as it is to vote against him for the same reason.

"Well, it shows he knows how to make money."

For himself and no one else? What good is that to the rest of us? What we need is someone who knows how to create prosperity that we can ALL benefit from. Not just a handfull at the top. That, IMO, is pointless and I don't understand why more folks can't see it.

Why should I give a hoot about making someone else rich, knowing that that individual doesn't plan on doing a damn thing for me?

Dave
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Admin

[QUOTE=zman;100967]Thanks for the welcome..My thought came from seeing how tough folks in other countries have it , I watch allot of PBS I guess.
Lets start with lobbying limits.[/
QUOTE]

Hey Z welcome!! Damn straight. Campaign reform is really where we need to concentrate our attention.

There's a move to require PBS to take political advertizing which I happen to see as a huge disservice to all of us.
(thanks Merrylander for bringing that up)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I haven't yet decided on the lesser of two evils in the upcoming election, though Romney's primary campaign and serial flip-floppery is certainly amusing, if not disconcerting. I haven't yet decided whether it's disqualifying. His wealth is not a factor, IMHO. How a public figure amasses wealth is certainly worthy of discussion, however.