Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Admin

17% Cut To NOAA Floated by Trump Administration

"The Trump administration is seeking to slash the budget of one of the government’s premier climate science agencies by 17 percent, delivering steep cuts to research funding and satellite programs, according to a four-page budget memo obtained by The Washington Post.

The proposed cuts to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration would also eliminate funding for a variety of smaller programs, including external research, coastal management, estuary reserves and “coastal resilience,” which seeks to bolster the ability of coastal areas to withstand major storms and rising seas.

NOAA is part of the Commerce Department, which would be hit by an overall 18 percent budget reduction from its current funding level.

The Office of Management and Budget also asked the Commerce Department to provide information about how much it would cost to lay off employees, while saying those employees who do remain with the department should get a 1.9 percent pay increase in January 2018. It requested estimates for terminating leases and government “property disposal.”

The OMB outline for the Commerce Department for fiscal 2018 proposed sharp reductions in specific areas within NOAA such as spending on education, grants and research. NOAA’s Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research would lose $126 million, or 26 percent, of the funds it has under the current budget. Its satellite data division would lose $513 million, or 22 percent, of its current funding under the proposal." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1cc85c1cf465

Dimwits.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 AM

No climate change reports now, eh?!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
No climate change reports now, eh?!
That seems to be the goal with this administration.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

So then will Mar-a-Lago become Mar-a-Mar?