Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:05 AM

Question Grooming, indoctrination?

I'd like to hear, from the Reich-wingers that like to throw those words around so much, what they actually think they mean. Some Republicans like to brand Democrats and liberals with those terms. I'd really like to hear what they think the Dems & Libs are grooming and/or indoctrinating children to be or do.
Given what they (cons & neo-cons) think CRT and woke are, the answers to my question might be interesting.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:51 AM
Ready

It means Our Children are being set up to be seduced by perverts! Oh, the fear, the horror!

Don't try to over-anaylze the content of the effort to propagate a sexual panic. Thinking what it means is not what this is all about, in the heads of those caught up in it.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:05 PM

Seduced to do what? Seduced to be what? Seduced to think what? That's what I want the answer to. Maybe if those folks would initiate a little (okay, a lot) thinking they wouldn't be so easily led.

Last edited by RickeyM; 05-01-2023 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:38 PM
Ready

People in this frame of mind do not initiate much thinking. Remember during the Satanists at the Day Care panic, people readily believed in wild rituals, sacrifice of horses, catacombs of secret tunnels, etc etc with sometimes only hearsay of what pre-schoolers were said to have said.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:52 PM

The all to common mindset of those who for lack of a better term. Adolescent name calling from grade school. Bullying in vain attempts to gain a feeling of superiority over others they feel threaten or inferior of.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:48 PM
Ready

Nameless anxiety can fuel a whole crusade, with just a bit of triggering. It becomes readily channeled into 'fight the horrible predators out to SEXUALLY exploit Our Women and CHILDREN!'
Old 05-01-2023, 07:32 PM

Anyone remember Anita Bryant and her campaign? I became fully self-aware during that time, a "late bloomer" that my Rocky Mountain Mormon background couldn't have prepared me.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
I'd like to hear, from the Reich-wingers that like to throw those words around so much, what they actually think they mean. Some Republicans like to brand Democrats and liberals with those terms. I'd really like to hear what they think the Dems & Libs are grooming and/or indoctrinating children to be or do.
Given what they (cons & neo-cons) think CRT and woke are, the answers to my question might be interesting.
Its straight out of Q-Anon, Y'know...the Clinton's are baby munching cultist pedophiles. Why do we have these pathtic threads attacking mental health providers who are following the law by observing confidentiality for minors? Why do we have the alt-right calling these mental health professionals "pedophile groomers?"

Because it's the only thing these wankers have anymore. They're looking at another loss in 2024 square in the face and resorting to this shit. The children need protection from vindictive christian extremist parents. The parents do not need any goddamn protection, and particularly not any protection from their own children.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-02-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Love your use of pejorative terminology. It certainly invites conversation. LOL!

Regardless, this is my honest take on what's happening with this aspect of our culture.

I went through high school in the mid-late 1970s. Back then, calling another kid "gay" or a "fag" was considered a pretty nasty insult. No doubt those words were also stigmatizing to their intended targets.

However, we were kids. We were balancing the teenage concept of "knowing better" with the teenage desire to "fit in". Kids are less likely to call out another kid's behavior or choice of insults hurled at a "less popular" kid for fear of retribution from their peers.

Fast forward to today: My twin daughters are high school juniors. The way they tell it, being gay, or bi, or sis or whatever is like a personal brand that kids use. Some kids will say they're gay or bi to fit in with other kids, some use it to get attention, and some use the terms to accurately describe themselves and their preferences.

What changed? The culture changed, of course. What drove the change? Lots of different factors, some good and some not-so-good.

So, what's grooming? In the broadest use of the term in this context, it means to prepare or train a person for a particular purpose or activity. As some might use the term in this it means forming a relationship with (a child or young person) with the intention of getting them to do something they wouldn't likely aspire to do on their own.

Are there forces out there trying to "groom" kids to become gay or transgender? Specifically, is there a group or groups of persons specifically targetting straight kids or questioning kids with the goal of convincing them that they're gay or that they need "gender-affirming" care? No, I don't think so. I also think the use of "extreme" terminology like "grooming" can be self-defeating because it may misstate or overstate root causes.

I do think that efforts to "normalize" the LGBTQ+ community, while well-intended, may have some unintended consequences. There are "extremists" on both sides of any issue. Those "extremists" can alter the discussion and cloud the debate about what is appropriate what is not appropriate. When it comes to kids who are confused or seeking information about their identity, this just clouds the water even more.

Having legislation, like the bill currently pending in WA state, that would create a legal and physical barrier between kids and their parents while the kid is making life and body-altering decisions as a child is, to me just all kinds of wrong. This would be an example of the law of unintended consequences and taking things to extremes in full bloom.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:58 AM

I do not think any medical decision should be legislated. Medical decisions should be made by the patient in consultation with a doctor. In the case of minors who are the patient, it should be handled the way all medical procedures are handled when the patient is a minor.