Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 AM

how to fix our polarization?

Hey Folks,
I am pretty sick of this election and all the crap coming out of it. I am going to try and move past it by thinking about what our country needs to end this polarization of parties.

My first thought, at least here in Colorado, is to change the laws regarding the primary elections. In Colorado, you can only vote in the primary for the party in which you are registered. You can only register in one party. I think a person should be able to vote in every parties primary. I believe this would eliminate the fringe extremes and pull everyone back to center.

Next would be campaign funding reform. Money should only be allowed to be donated from people, not from business and absolutely nothing from foreign interests. Limits should also be imposed as to how much money a person can donate. Maybe $10,000?

lastly would be the delegates from the primaries. In Colorado, winner takes all. I think they should be split as a percentage to reflect the vote.

What do you folks think?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:44 AM

Agree on the last point, the others are worthy of consideration.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Some good ideas to facilitate dialog.

It would also have helped symbolically if the candidates would have shook hands.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:48 AM

If she could find them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Rational Anarchist

Now now. We're trying to end the polarization.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Resident octogenarian

The problem iis that in a Democratic primary Republicans would vote for the candidate they think would be easy to beat, and vice versa.

Primaries are NOT democratic nor should they be, if you want a say in either party's candidate then join said party
Old 10-20-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The problem iis that in a Democratic primary Republicans would vote for the candidate they think would be easy to beat, and vice versa.

Primaries are NOT democratic nor should they be, if you want a say in either party's candidate then join said party
The OP does not realize that Trump is actually unifying Americans, but not in the way Trump desires. His politics of division is actually creating a consensus around Hillary.

When disaffected voters realize that voting for people like Trump is not in their interests we will get back on track. Clinton will need to be a force in this.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Jigsawed

Some ideas from Bershidsky.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...e-u-s-politics
Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

Maybe. I certainly think that is how it might be at the beginning. I would hope that people would be smart enough to move past who was easiest to beat, and move into who would they be happiest with if that candidate should win. For a democrat or republican to pick a candidate from the other party who they would support seems, at least to me, like a very centering proposition.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The OP does not realize that Trump is actually unifying Americans, but not in the way Trump desires. His politics of division is actually creating a consensus around Hillary.

When disaffected voters realize that voting for people like Trump is not in their interests we will get back on track. Clinton will need to be a force in this.
I can see your point in practicality, but it is only good for this election. Trump is not causing a unification per se, but rather a choice of the lesser of two evils. I think the people in the GOP who vote for HC are pretty sickened by it. I also think with their hate of the woman, she better be a pretty dam good president or the next election will make this one look nice.