Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 PM

Never read the books but I understand that they're quite good. I saw Season 1 when it was first on, watched it twice, but I haven't had HBO since. I'm looking forward to picking up the thread again.

The acting is really first rate, especially the amazing Peter Dinklage. He is one hell of an actor.

John
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Area Man

Just got home from seeing "Divergent".

Not a bad flick, a futuristic political/action flick set in a post apocalyptic Chicago wherein the city is walled off and it's inhabitants led to believe there is nothing left of the world outside.

Check it out.

Dave
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
The acting is really first rate, especially the amazing Peter Dinklage. He is one hell of an actor.

John
Oh yeah!

That little Dwarf Dude is my favorite character!

He's awesome!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Admin

'Cesar Chavez' is coming out soon. Funny how I still have a problem eating table grapes. They were strictly verboten in my childhood home here in California. Pop was out there on the frontlines with Cesar and the UFW fighting the big growers for better pay and work conditions.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Admin

American Masters on PBS, J.D. Salinger. I did not know that he landed on Utah Beach with the 4th Infantry. I'll have to find a copy of 'Catcher in the Rye' and read it again. I vaguely remember it from Takoma Park Jr. High. I wonder if it's still required reading or if the book burners have succeeded in banning it?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Persona non grata

"The Loving Story"

This was another really interesting documentary on Netflix about racism.

It really shows how blatant and overt racism was not only practiced, but accepted, in many areas of this country in very recent history.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
American Masters on PBS, J.D. Salinger. I did not know that he landed on Utah Beach with the 4th Infantry. I'll have to find a copy of 'Catcher in the Rye' and read it again. I vaguely remember it from Takoma Park Jr. High. I wonder if it's still required reading or if the book burners have succeeded in banning it?
The only part of the book I can remember is that Holden Caufield is sitting on a stoop or stairs somewhere and he sees some graffiti that someone wrote...
it says "fuck you" or something to that effect. And then Caufield sort of thinks to himself that no matter where on Earth you go in this life someone has written "fuck you" on something. That is the only part I have carried with me.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Loyal Opposition

I watched a fun one last night - Nurse Betty. It had some marquee players in Renee Zellweger, Morgan Freemen, Chris Rock, & Greg Kinnear. But it was far from a typical formulaic blockbuster. It had plenty of interesting comic twists.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Admin

'Beware of Mr. Baker' A documentary about Ginger Baker. Well worth a look if you're into music. Genius. Mad genius!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The only part of the book I can remember is that Holden Caufield is sitting on a stoop or stairs somewhere and he sees some graffiti that someone wrote...
it says "fuck you" or something to that effect. And then Caufield sort of thinks to himself that no matter where on Earth you go in this life someone has written "fuck you" on something. That is the only part I have carried with me.
All remember is that when I read it in High School I thought Holden Caulfield was way cool. Then when I read it again in my 30's I thought he was a snotty little brat.