Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yes! I've been missing my Anthem preamp, run through a pair of Rogue monoblocks that I had several years ago. Sold them and bought a Mac MA6900 in 2005. The Mac is nice, but still has that SS harshness when pushed hard.

I rebuilt a pair of Roberts 770 monoblocks (Akai M8) from an old tube RTR deck. They have a nice sound but only put out ~3-4 watts, not enough for a rattle the windows kinda guy like me. (And one of them seems to be problematic. A recurring noise issue, that I'm told might be the OPT.)

Anyhow, if I does go tube again, it'll probably be a nice integrated.
I first heard the Vandersteen 2s back in the late 1970s on some nice ARC tube equipment. They sounded great. BTW, IIRC a Revox RTR was used as a source for Richard's initial crossover tweaking.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Pushing Cornwalls?

Chas
Yep, A truly amazing $600 speaker investment.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yes! I've been missing my Anthem preamp, run through a pair of Rogue monoblocks that I had several years ago. Sold them and bought a Mac MA6900 in 2005. The Mac is nice, but still has that SS harshness when pushed hard.

I rebuilt a pair of Roberts 770 monoblocks (Akai M8) from an old tube RTR deck. They have a nice sound but only put out ~3-4 watts, not enough for a rattle the windows kinda guy like me. (And one of them seems to be problematic. A recurring noise issue, that I'm told might be the OPT.)

Anyhow, if I does go tube again, it'll probably be a nice integrated.
The MC275 IV is a good bang for the buck. It was recently bench tested and was putting out over 90 wpc. Paired with the Cornwall's it can shake, rattle, and roll. However, it is a totally different sound than my C712 and MC300 paired with Chorus II's. I can shake the neighborhood with that combination.

The Tube McIntosh is much more detailed. It is like being in a concert hall listening to a live performance. I would have to say it is loud, but very civil. It wraps you in the sound instead of grabbing you by the throat and shaking you.

Plans are being drawn up for my music room addition. I am going to reinforce all the corners for Khorns. Now I just have to find a good pair of Khorns that are not too far away.

I can't wait.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I first heard the Vandersteen 2s back in the late 1970s on some nice ARC tube equipment. They sounded great. BTW, IIRC a Revox RTR was used as a source for Richard's initial crossover tweaking.
My Vandies are gone. Sold them off along with some vintage gear I had. I have a relative coming to stay with me for a while. Had to make room. That, and my medical disability only pays 70%. Needed to raise cash. Fortunately, I go back to work full time tomorrow.

So, now I'm running my homebrew Econowaves full time. They actually came out sounding pretty darn good.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Listening to Hot Sauce Committee #2...a Sansui 7070 pushing some hoity- toity Legacy Super Satellites....supposedly high end although to my ears the mid-range and high end are sort of mushy muddled...the low end is great and instruments are separated well.

Sigh I am going to miss you MCA.........
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Area Man

The Cranberries

106.9FM Norfolk, Va.
Through the bedroom system.
Luxman T310u
Luxman 309
ADS L710
B&O 4002
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Admin

The Sky is Cryin' by Stevie Ray Vaughn