Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Based on your posts here, it's very easy to conclude otherwise.

And based on your posts it would be very easy to assume that you (and DQ) are a couple of sanctimonious twits, just goes to show how easy it is to misread folks if that is what you want to do

I can't speak to how you treat Muslims you encounter but the way you speak of them here makes it seem that you're prepared to think of them, collectively, in extremely negative terms. And that negativity seems to have been inspired by the way Florence was treated by a couple of Muslim men. To generalize from that vicarious experience and view all Muslims in light of the behavior of a few is illogical and is the very definition of prejudice.

Why?
I never said how many occurrences, why do you always jump to false conclusions?

As to how I think of them? About the same way I would think of any man who treats his wife like chattle. I was raised to respect women and have little patience with those who don't. If that fits your definition of prejudice tough.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

Oh and DQ you do not know my cousin but gratuitously say she is ignorant, hardly the behaviour of a gentleman. Actually she is a delightful and very intelligent lady. She knows that I was originally from Quebec and thought I might get a chuckle from it.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
As to how I think of them? About the same way I would think of any man who treats his wife like chattle. I was raised to respect women and have little patience with those who don't. If that fits your definition of prejudice tough.
That's perfectly appropriate as long as you restrict those feelings to actual individuals who actually treat their actual wives in that actual fashion. From what you've told us, however, you've generalized these feelings of antipathy to anyone who shares the same ethnic or religious background. That's prejudice (pre-judgement). It can't be described any other way.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Oh and DQ you do not know my cousin but gratuitously say she is ignorant, hardly the behaviour of a gentleman. Actually she is a delightful and very intelligent lady. She knows that I was originally from Quebec and thought I might get a chuckle from it.
Ignorant is a simple word. It just means lacking in knowledge, usually of a particular subject. While it can be expressed as an insult, it doesn't have to be. Sometimes it's just a statement of reality.

If, for instance, you were to simply remark that I was ignorant on the subject of telephony, I'd have to agree and I wouldn't take offense at all.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Ready

Quote:
My statement should be taken as specific to the matter under discussion, not as a general slur on your cousin's character. I have no reason not to think she is fairly described as you say.

But I don't think my remark was gratuitous. You brought up your reliance on your cousin's endorsement of the email, which has been shown to be false. People are always ignorant of no end of things, no matter how intelligent they are in general. Ignorance is actually the least 'blameworthy' explanation for her sending you the false email.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That's perfectly appropriate as long as you restrict those feelings to actual individuals who actually treat their actual wives in that actual fashion. From what you've told us, however, you've generalized these feelings of antipathy to anyone who shares the same ethnic or religious background. That's prejudice (pre-judgement). It can't be described any other way.
I did not write the rules of their religion what else would you call forcing a woman to wear a black hijab in the middle eastern heat but cruelty. You know your ultra political correctness gets to be a PITA real fast.

Here is a suggestion if you don't like my posts don't read them, it is really easy to ignore posts I do with most of yours and it is effortless.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
My statement should be taken as specific to the matter under discussion, not as a general slur on your cousin's character. I have no reason not to think she is fairly described as you say.

But I don't think my remark was gratuitous. You brought up your reliance on your cousin's endorsement of the email, which has been shown to be false. People are always ignorant of no end of things, no matter how intelligent they are in general. Ignorance is actually the least 'blameworthy' explanation for her sending you the false email.
There you go again, jeez DQ you can read more words that are not on the screen than anyone I know. I never said that my cousin endorsed the email she merely forwarded it to me.

Look how about you ignore my posts and I will happily ignore yours, Sweet Jesus what a couple of sanctimonious twits.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
No, I didn't.
Bullshit on a shingle, Don.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I did not write the rules of their religion what else would you call forcing a woman to wear a black hijab in the middle eastern heat but cruelty.
Those religious practices are engaged in by some Muslims but far from all of them. I feel that this is something you know but you chose to ignore because it interferes with your agenda. You paint Muslims with far too broad a brush.

(Interestingly, wearing a dark loosely fitting garment in extreme heat is actually pretty comfortable. Consider the Tuareg people.)

As for rules, why not condemn all Jews because the Old Testament calls for a death sentence for disobeying your father? Or eating pork or shellfish? Or wearing a cotton polyester blend? Or raping a woman (but only if she's betrothed to another man).

Quote:
You know your ultra political correctness gets to be a PITA real fast.

Here is a suggestion if you don't like my posts don't read them, it is really easy to ignore posts I do with most of yours and it is effortless.
I find your posts on the subject of Muslims objectionable so I object.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Admin

C'mon guys. Enough.