Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM

What does it mean to be conservative or liberal?

The question is not what does it mean to be republican or democrat. It is what does it mean to be conservative or liberal?

I went to the gun range this morning. It was an interesting experience. I go usually during the week mid day and it is kind of quiet. Today it was packed at opening.

Here is something that jumped out at me. Almost everyone there had trucks. Most of the truck were very loud(exhaust) and extremely flashy. They were lifted, oversize wheels. extra chrome and bug guards and tinted windows and ......... In a nut shell, they were trucks with attitude. Lets move onto the drivers. They were much the same. T-shirts and hats with strong messages. Most had some sort of camo or military look. If not they were darker colored clothes. Here again attitude. I kind of stood out like a sore thumb. Blue jeans, light colored polo, kakhi jacket and a bone stock f150. When I got into the range every person I saw was sporting either a massive handgun that was essentially black, or a tactical style rifle. Where was the old blued and walnut? My rifle was a vintage stevens .22lr, blued and walnut, some scuffs scratches, but an excellent shooting rifle. The few people who stopped to talk to me gave me the courteous "nice rifle" and moved on.

So what conclusions can a person draw from this? Probably not a lot, at least not definitively. I assume a large percentage of these folks were republican. BTW - the name of the range is "Bluecore Shooting center"

To me being conservative means having savings accounts, keeping the old truck running, spending money only when you need to, being quiet and reserved in your speech. It means taking a little bit slower approach to life.

Being liberal was more like what I saw today.

Just made me think about how much people have changed over the last 30-40 years.

So thoughts?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

In short, liberals welcome change and conservatives are frightened by it (and arm themselves accordingly).
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM

I am OK with flashy pickup trucks and guns as long as they don't camp on the left lane and go the speed limit blocking traffic. This seems to be their MO. And the black smoke that they rig their trucks with, who are they trying to impress?

Sorry to get off topic.
As for the differences, the way I see it is that the so called conservatives want to backwards in time like ISIS. The progressives are forward thinking. Conservation, renewable energy, education, social welfare are some that come to mind. People are not created as equals, if so everyone will be educated and there will be no poverty.

Is Alabama a conservative state or a backward state?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
In short, liberals welcome change and conservatives are frightened by it (and arm themselves accordingly).
That and IMO Republicans used to be for small as well as all businesses, but not anymore. A group of greed mongering Libertarians bought it. A fanboy name group still blindly vote against their own interests as they, GOP, are giving every last penny they can to themselves.
Dems used to be for unions and workers but they have been bought as well just not anywhere the scale of the GOP, nowadays the young millenials vote against Dems too and are voting away their futures and hopes of retirement with medical.
I'm neither, left of both and very happy with it. If I was going to raise a family I would learn a skill that would let me move to NW Europe and leave, preferably to my paternal grandfathers hometown of Copenhagen.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Interesting thought. I think it is correct in it's application, but I don't think it actually meats the Webster's definition of conservative vs liberal, so to speak.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
That and IMO Republicans used to be for small as well as all businesses, but not anymore. A group of greed mongering Libertarians bought it. A fanboy name group still blindly vote against their own interests as they, GOP, are giving every last penny they can to themselves.
Dems used to be for unions and workers but they have been bought as well just not anywhere the scale of the GOP, nowadays the young millenials vote against Dems too and are voting away their futures and hopes of retirement with medical.

I'm neither, left of both and very happy with it. If I was going to raise a family I would learn a skill that would let me move to NW Europe and leave, preferably to my paternal grandfathers hometown of Copenhagen.
Bullseye!!!!

The rich get richer. The working man works harder. And everyone is getting more and more angry and pointing fingers at each other while the real thieves make off with our childrens' future. The terms liberal and conservative are now used to keep us in a tribal camp and angry at each other so we cannot see the real thieves.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I am OK with flashy pickup trucks and guns as long as they don't camp on the left lane and go the speed limit blocking traffic. This seems to be their MO. And the black smoke that they rig their trucks with, who are they trying to impress?

Sorry to get off topic.
As for the differences, the way I see it is that the so called conservatives want to backwards in time like ISIS. The progressives are forward thinking. Conservation, renewable energy, education, social welfare are some that come to mind.

People are not created as equals, if so everyone will be educated and there will be no poverty.

Is Alabama a conservative state or a backward state?
We are not equal. At least not in skill set, talents, ethical integrity, and so on. Some of it is how we are born, physiological. Some of it is how we are raised. However, I don't think undermines that we are all equal in value. We are all worthy of being treated with dignity and respect. At least we all should aspire to this. I think the ramifications of a society that does otherwise are obvious.

As to Alabama, the answer is yes.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Jigsawed

The Dems terribly undermined their argument when they used another member of the Clinton team.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
LMAO! Yep, that sounds about right. Just remember, it's not "fear", it's just "being prepared"......... For the apocalypse that never comes.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Interesting thought. I think it is correct in it's application, but I don't think it actually meats the Webster's definition of conservative vs liberal, so to speak.
The Websters definition no longer applies as so many "Conservatives" I meet these days have no clue what Conservatism actually is. They seem to think it's the GOP that wants to protect the social safety net and legalize marijuana ferfuksake.