Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
LMAO!

But, I expect SS for my retirement because they take my money and tell me that's what it's for.

Pete
You-n-me both. Although I am doing other things with 401ks, Roth IRA as well.

I'm determined to not end up stuck with geriatric dumpster diving.

Dave
Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The fact that most jobs with any type of retirement now have 401K's instead of a defined benefit retirement. The 401K was initially meant as a supplemental plan for executives defined benefit plan. Not as a stand alone retirement plan.

Employment is going the way of contract employees or less then full time hours to eliminate benefits. When benefits are offered the cost and coverage goes up every year. While pay is lucky to stay the same.

As the unions get weaker the employer will naturally push the boundaries. With no push back what is to stop them from taking more and more. The reason government jobs look so good now is the private sector job losses in pay and benefits over the years.

Do we as a society want a downward spiral for the vast majority just so a lucky privilege few can benefit? You know take from the poor to give to the rich! Just another way of saying "Trickle-down economics" or "the trickle-down theory". It not jobs or money I feel trickling down right now!

What my point was why should it be like winning the lottery to have a good paying job with a benefit package? All jobs should have benefits attached, this way it would be a equal playing field for all employers. Companies can now and do file bankruptcy to raid the fully funded retirement plans knowing the government will pick up the tab. When that happens who's fault is it? The employee's?? I say the executives who play the system at all of ours expenses.

The ones at the top of society use more of the nations resources so should be willing to pay their fair share. By this I mean they take advantage of things like the country's education system used to train their employees. The roads and other infrastructures associated with running a business.

Barney
Beautiful!

Dave
Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm planning on retiring in 4 years, with a National pension, Local Pension, a few annuities, and maybe some SS when I hit 62 or whatever the age is by then. I can do that and still work up to 39 hours a month to keep some bennies going. Combine that with a little electronics work on the side, and I should be able to stay out of the dumpsters (I hope). I'll be 55 with 37 years in the trade. Not too bad for a 10th grade education and a strong back.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My retirement is already gone.

Pete
Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
My retirement is already gone.

Pete

Were you depending on SS for your retirement?
Stop blaming others and build your own retirement.
I can't help it that whatever your employer offers you is inadequate.

Dave
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Lets see, first go after union jobs. Eliminate the power of the strike and organizing. Then once the unions are weak go after the rest of the private sector jobs. Take away things like a retirement, health care coverage to where of course a Government job will look so much better.

Why is it when some look at what others have will think, I don't have that so they should not be able to!" Instead of thinking "I should be able to have the same thing".

Barney
Brilliant!

Just the mindset the GOP is fighting for.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM

It all depends what data you compare. If you compare the salaries, private industry comes out doing better.

But if you compare salaries and total benefits packages, the government employees come out ahead.

There are lies, liars, and statistics. Just look at how the government keep changing the factors that the cost of living is calculated with. If your an American on Social Security, there has been no increase in the cost of living, but when they calculate the same cost of living for the Congress, amazingly there has been an increase in the cost of living.

Any time that the Government or anyone else for that matter want to show their point, all they need to do is play with the factors until they agree with them.

Case in point; When the government wanted to show how the 55 mph speed limit was saving lives, they just changed the factor of how long after the accident occurred, and when the victim died. They did this because there was no real difference between the 65 mph death rate and the 55 mph death rate. They also did this with the seat belt law, people are still dieing, but due to internal injuries caused by the seat belts, it just takes longer.

statistics lye, and liars use statistics

Bill
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

It looks like as long as my mind works, I'll be working. Sometimes having your own business ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It looks like as long as my mind works, I'll be working. Sometimes having your own business ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Regards,

D-Ray
Yeah, that "ruling in hell" gets a little long in the tooth at times.

It's bad enough whenever you're making money.

Chas
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Resident octogenarian

Me I plan on being around for a long time yet simply because I am sure there are some folks out there that I have not pissed off as yet.