Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Loyal Opposition

Human Nature

Time for some dime store philosophy. (A first aside - isn't the term "dime store" obsolete now, anyway?)

We have quite the free-for-all here, and that's what political discussion is. Politics is one area where passions run high. Pretty soon, one person or another will respond to one position or another with an insult. (And this occurs from participants on the left and the right.) Well, being the humans we are, we respond in kind. Quite often the dispute escalates to the point where the original issue becomes secondary to the battle of wills.

This IMHO is why the proliferation of firearms is problematic, to put it lightly. Here, we only have battle of words. I'll throw a few nasty bits into cyberspace, and you'll respond in kind. But, outside of the virtual battle we have going on here, more and more people are packing. When slight or perceived slight begets insult, begets further insult, begets shouting, begets blows - escalation of a dispute leads to violence, and if those engaged in the violent dispute are armed, well it can become deadly.

What's the answer? I don't know. Hope we continue to evolve as a species, I suppose. I just hope we survive long enough to continue the process.

Regards,

D-Ray