Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

As I used to tell folks in Geneva when the asked if I was an American I would say yes. Then they asked what state did I live in and I would say Ontario. Simply put Canada is part of North America and has just as much right to claim such. So by saying Buy American I mean both countries, heck our two Chevvies were built in Oshawa. People do not realize that the U.S's biggest trading partner is the Province of Ontario, not just the whole country. The only advantage we have experienced from these financial shenanigans is that we have gotten a big raise in my pension as the Candian dollar went from $0.72 to $0.92 against the dollar here.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
As I used to tell folks in Geneva when the asked if I was an American I would say yes. Then they asked what state did I live in and I would say Ontario. Simply put Canada is part of North America and has just as much right to claim such. So by saying Buy American I mean both countries, heck our two Chevvies were built in Oshawa. People do not realize that the U.S's biggest trading partner is the Province of Ontario, not just the whole country. The only advantage we have experienced from these financial shenanigans is that we have gotten a big raise in my pension as the Candian dollar went from $0.72 to $0.92 against the dollar here.
Yes, the US and Canadian economies are so integrated now that there really is no separating them. Which is why Canada is also going to suffer with the US collapse.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My 'domestic' Grand Marquis are built in Canada.

As someone with some minor involvement in cross border business I sure wish that integration extended to simple border crossing. I don't understand why it's so difficult.

Probably worried about all those Canadians sneaking in with the truckloads of hemp

Pete
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well at least thanks to CMHC there were no funny mortgages issued up there, spared the banks from derivatives, though I did see AIG repaying BofM for summat.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 AM

The real reason, I think, that its such a PITA on Canadian border crossings is that too many bureaucrats would lose their ability to be little demi-gods & get to boss sheeple around...Same w/airport "security"....Does anybody honestly believe that the 350 lb woman sitting there by the metal detector could thwart a terrorist ?!? Christamighty, she'll have trouble waddling to the crapper on the other side of the terminal...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks I needed that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The real reason, I think, that its such a PITA on Canadian border crossings is that too many bureaucrats would lose their ability to be little demi-gods & get to boss sheeple around...Same w/airport "security"....Does anybody honestly believe that the 350 lb woman sitting there by the metal detector could thwart a terrorist ?!? Christamighty, she'll have trouble waddling to the crapper on the other side of the terminal...

http://www.americansworking.com/
Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 PM

The way it should be sung!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETrr-XHBjE
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM

Aww, man ! Sittin' here sobbin' ! That was GREAT...And I have never been a particularly big fan of the National Anthem..It is notoriously hard to sing, has a somewhat weird tune, & is a bit too heavy on the militaristic.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM

This died early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Aww, man ! Sittin' here sobbin' ! That was GREAT...And I have never been a particularly big fan of the National Anthem..It is notoriously hard to sing, has a somewhat weird tune, & is a bit too heavy on the militaristic.

Just thought it's great hearing it sung by so many...including seeing the palship between Bush and Clinton. All is Not dead when it comes to coming together.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

Going out this week to get new tires on Florence's car, you can be darn sure they will have been made here in NorAm. It took me 53 years to find her I am darn well not about to risk her life on Chinese tires.

Used to be the only tires I could get for the tractor trailer were Chinese from Home Depot, would not last a year, sidewalls would crack and split. Got a set of US built tires from Northern Tool, been on the trailer for five years now, good as new.