Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Your argument is essentially the same specious argument made by sports owner to get states and municipalities to finance stadiums.
More idiocy from you!!

You're comparing a what if scenario to an actual track record. Trying to project, based on modeling, the financial impact of a stadium that isn't built yet is far different than measuring, using data that actually exists, the financial impact of a manufacturing facility to a city or a state. The data was there. This guy was able to analyze real data to assess the impact.

But if his analysis is somehow beyond you, let me help you a bit. Let's only talk about the jobs of the 800 manufacturing jobs that were saved, even though the total number of jobs retained is three times that amount.

The average wage of the jobs retained is $23.00/hr.
The average full time worker puts in about 2080 hours per year.
$23.00 X 2080 = $47840 per year.

So, conservatively (not assuming any overtime) the average manufacturing worker earns $47840 gross.

Now, the state income tax in Indiana is 3.3%. $47840 * 3.3% = $1578.70. Each of the 800 workers pays approximately $1578.70 in state income tax.

800 workers would pay: $1578.70 * 800 = $1,262,976 in Indiana state income tax.

So, the state spent $700,000 per year to keep, if we're just looking at those 800, $1,262,976 gross in income tax, or a net of $562,976.

Even you, I think, should be able to look at that and determine that the state, including the taxpayers in the state, came out OK in this deal. Also, if we were to add back in the impact of the other jobs that will be retained, many that paid as much or more than the manufacturing jobs, the magnitude of the favorable impact grows significantly.

Why is this hard to understand?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting on the details. There is no transparency with Trump.
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...tate/94637112/

Whatever the terms of the deal turn out to be, they will be better than the bleak exodus of jobs that Indianapolis had spent months preparing for. And the deal fulfills one of Trump's most prominent pledges.

Also, there may have been a suggestion that the US Gov't would take some its business elsewhere:

Beyond potential tax breaks, Carrier would have had several motivations to reach a deal with the Trump administration, said Mohan Tatikonda, an operations management professor for the Indiana University Kelley School of Business.

For one, Carrier's parent company, Connecticut-based United Technologies Corp., is a large government contractor. About 10 percent of the company's $56 billion in annual revenue comes from the government, according to The New York Times. The company "would like to start off on the right foot" with a new presidential administration, Tatikonda said.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 AM

Local Indy stations reported deal had more carrots then stick. My guess tax incentives the people of Indiana will pay or loose, not the 35% on products.

Barney
Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Ready

Showcase deal. Will he do huge numbers of deals, on the order of another trillion dollar 'bailout' of the economy?

Some in his admin will want to just order the $ from the Federal Reserve.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Area Man

I'm glad to see these people got to keep their jobs. (Assuming they ALL got their jobs back.)

But, of course the question turns to........

How did that happen?

The board at Carrier had to be convinced this was a more lucrative move. So, what was the deal? Who got paid? Who had to give up what?

Also;

He now has millions expecting the same. ("I want my old union job back!") So, what now?

Is this actually a good thing, in the long run? (Inflation is a consideration, for starters.)

Renegotiating trade deals means convincing foreign governments that deals move favorable to us are in their best interest.
And that might not be so easy.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-30-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM

This is emotional tear drop slight of hand.

Let us see the the structural changes P*ssy Grabber is promising.
You may want to look that term up Whell. Structural.

When Chevy starts closing its Chinese factories and bringing them back home and we export them to Asia on a big flat container ship I'll eat my Iphone,

Oh and the 35% tariff that the great swindler is always talking about. Let him get that through Congress. And if he does the trade war and rising prices will make our medicare vouchers so
affordable.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
This is emotional tear drop slight of hand.

Let us see the the structural changes P*ssy Grabber is promising.
You may want to look that term up Whell. Structural.

When Chevy starts closing its Chinese factories and bringing them back home and we export them to Asia on a big flat container ship I'll eat my Iphone,

Oh and the 35% tariff that the great swindler is always talking about. Let him get that through Congress. And if he does the trade war and rising prices will make our medicare vouchers so
affordable.
My guess is the overall scheme is a drawback from globalization to a more protectionist model. "Protectionism"......Something Conservatives have opposed for decades. Whether the Democrats get on board or not remains to be seen.

But, I'm with you. It's wonderful to see these people keep their jobs, but I'm thinking it's unrealistic to expect this same scene to play out in thousands of locations across the country.

And, then there is the potential for trade war.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My guess is the overall scheme is a drawback from globalization to a more protectionist model. "Protectionism"......Something Conservatives have opposed for decades. Whether the Democrats get on board or not remains to be seen.

But, I'm with you. It's wonderful to see these people keep their jobs, but I'm thinking it's unrealistic to expect this same scene to play out in thousands of locations across the country.

And, then there is the potential for trade war.
Assuming that Trump is a conservative is a mistake that I suspect even some Republicans might make. He's not. He's non-ideological when it comes to politics.

Whether this can be duplicated, I think it is highly dependent on the type of business and the labor skill set involved.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=whell;340360]http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...tate/94637112/

Whatever the terms of the deal turn out to be, they will be better than the bleak exodus of jobs that Indianapolis had spent months preparing for. And the deal fulfills one of Trump's most prominent pledges.

When ever a deal is made, there someone who bears the burden of the negative consequences. We know Trump will benefit. We just don't know who will be negatively impacted.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=barbara;340366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...tate/94637112/

When ever a deal is made, there someone who bears the burden of the negative consequences. We know Trump will benefit. We just don't know who will be negatively impacted.
Yeah, all those folks who will keep their jobs are gonna get screwed.

...and a few years back when Obama was far more activist with GM than trump ever thought about being, the Democrats crowed about it. The taxpayer price tag for that was about $10 billion. But far be it from me to expect consistency from the left.