Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Sure it does, if you're not suffering from near-sightedness. The book on whether there will or will not be significant budget reductions hasn't been written yet. Hell, VOX is freaking out about "shocking cuts" in the recent budget proposal, but even Vox can figure out that a lot of what's in the budget proposal isn't going to become reality.

Yeah, your fellow travels in the mainstream press are screaming about this, but let 'em scream. Hell, I encourage them to scream. Its awesome to hear the left scream about budget deficits, even if they only do it when a Repub is in office. I'll be more interested to see what comes out of Congress over the next few months. I suspect there will be some compromises about the Dreamer issue, which will allow the Dems to not bitch too much about budget reductions. But I strongly suspect there will be substantive proposals for budget reductions forthcoming. And if there aren't, I'll be right there screaming with you, Finn....just without the girly voice.
Proposals for reductions? Those are $.50/ton, and your vocal cords are safe, if that's enough. I would think though you'd be insisting on actual reductions--if you hew to your principles.

I assume you hope to save billions by starving all the welfare queens?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
As for the $1.5 trillion tax cut, you cannot find a single reputable economist who supports it. All agree that it is exactly the wrong thing to do at this time.
LOL! You're right. Couldn't find just one. But I did find 137.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/137-...ommentary.html
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I assume you hope to save billions by starving all the welfare queens?
You got that right, queenie.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Ready

Alas, I get so little welfare you will be sorely disappointed at the savings.

And I won't starve noticeably, adding to your always-bitter frustration....
Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
LOL! You're right. Couldn't find just one. But I did find 137.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/137-...ommentary.html
Everyone supported corporate tax reform. That ain't what happened. What finally passed wasn't tax reform, it was budget-busting tax cut with nary a reform in sight.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Everyone supported corporate tax reform. That ain't what happened. What finally passed wasn't tax reform, it was budget-busting tax cut with nary a reform in sight.
Uh huh. How'd you like that last line in the letter:

Your vote throughout the weeks ahead will therefore put more money in the pockets of more workers.

In fact, I didn't see the word "anecdotal" or "anecdote" anywhere in that letter.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Uh huh. How'd you like that last line in the letter:

Your vote throughout the weeks ahead will therefore put more money in the pockets of more workers.

In fact, I didn't see the word "anecdotal" or "anecdote" anywhere in that letter.
It's funny to watch people like you defending profligate government spending by Trump and the GOP that is now far more liberal than anything the Democrats have ever even considered.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It's funny to watch people like you defending profligate government spending by Trump and the GOP that is now far more liberal than anything the Democrats have ever even considered.
Except that we ran a surplus last month, so if I were you I'd quit hyperventilating until all the facts are in. Surprised you're not hyperventilating about the inflation numbers that came in today, that the news is freaking out about. Funny that the inflation numbers came in lower (0.5%) than one year ago (0.6%), but folks like you will probably find a way to blame tax policy for it, even though that policy hadn't kick in yet in January.

In the meantime, here's another "reputable" economist suggesting we'll be in the neighborhood of 3% GDP growth in 2018.

"Faster economic growth over most of the past year has tightened labor and product markets and helped to boost prices at a faster pace," David Berson, chief economist at Nationwide, said in a note. "We expect real GDP growth this year to be around 3 percent — faster than trend and supportive of higher inflation."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/us-c...-jan-2018.html
Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
"Faster economic growth over most of the past year has tightened labor and product markets and helped to boost prices at a faster pace," David Berson, chief economist at Nationwide, said in a note. "We expect real GDP growth this year to be around 3 percent — faster than trend and supportive of higher inflation."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/us-c...-jan-2018.html
Your citing of this article supports my points, not yours and further underscores your limited understanding of economics. This article was a warning about inflation and likely multiple interest rate increases by the Fed, supporting the notion that goosing an economy at or near full employment is inflationary.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM

So how does the supply side economics justify a $10-$30 Million parade? The estimate is from WH's Mick Mulvaney, who by the way has claimed he would not have voted for the recently passed budget if he was still in the House.

I say privatize this stinking parade.

Trump’s military parade would cost between $10 million and $30 million, White House budget director says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.37edcff83ffa