View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
AFAIK, this proposed tax credit is supposed to replace the Obamacare subsidy for those getting insurance from exchanges. It doesn't apply to employer-provided plans (including those offered to retirees from former employers). In other words, it offers you nothing.
I understand your zeal to piss on Tom Joad no matter what, but do you actually know that? Have you read the draft in detail? My bet is that you have not. Nor do you or I, or anyone else know what the final form of this bill will take, or if it will be implemented at all for that matter. However I will call your attention once again to the following that appears in item 10 of Paul Ryans Health Care reform talking points.

http://paulryan.house.gov/healthcare/pcaqanda.htm#3

Quote:
Under our plan, if you like the health coverage you have, you can keep it. If you have health insurance through your employer, nothing will change. For most Americans, the tax credit they will receive will cover the premiums for employer-provided health benefits they currently receive, as well as the marginal tax liability on the cost of health insurance provided by the employers which will be counted as wages.
Now, did this provision get included in the draft plan? I don't know, and I strongly suspect neither do you.

But let's assume that it didn't.

Does that mean I would not get any benefit from the plan?

Maybe?

Maybe not.

Right now I pay $388 a month for my BCBS PPO plan to supplement what is not covered by Medicare and Medicare part B. When my wife goes on Medicare next year that will be another $388 a month for her supplement.

That's $776 a month. Or $9,312 a year.

So I gotta ask myself, do I wanna shell out $9,312 a year for supplemental insurance and get no subsidy? Or do I take the $8 grand and see what I can get for that. Shit if I can find a policy that will supplement Medicare for both of us for $15 grand, then minus the $8 grand that I'd get as a subsidy, I'll still be ahead of the game. I realize that you ran out of fingers and toes a long way back, but those numbers are right, trust me on that.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 02-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.