View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

From studies I've seen, poor scores in primarily minority areas have much more to do with poverty than race (although poverty is more prevalent in minority neighborhoods). I was shocked to find out that half of the kids in the elementary school that my kids attended are from families eligible for low income assistance. This is a mostly white suburban neighborhood in an affluent county. The correlation between poverty and academic achievement shows there too. The reading and math scores were low, particularly for the Shawnee Mission School District.

Regards,

D-Ray
In New York I noticed poor Chinese, Koreans, Indians from Guyana end up in the top schools. What I noticed also that they have in common is a six day school and shorter summer holiday. Their parents sacrifice and pay for Saturday classes. The other minority kids are practicing basketball 24/7 and are left behind in the scholastic world.
There is an area in Flatbush Brooklyn which produced some fine students whose parents were the poorest on this earth....Haitian refugees!